• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unfortunately, System UI has Stopped (endless)

n1ckn4m3

Lurker
Apr 18, 2016
I got the Sprint Black Onyx 32GB Galaxy S7 edge last Friday, spent all weekend migrating content from my old HTC One E8, setting up my GearVR, etc. Last night (Sunday) around 11PM, I hit the menu button to open the app switcher from inside FPSE, and it popped up with "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped". I hadn't made any changes, I was just returning to a different app from FPSE. Clicking OK on the error message closed it, but it then immediately recurred. Due to this, the switcher and home buttons were useless -- the only way I could get back to the home screen was hitting the back button repeatedly. I tried closing the error about 20-30 times before I went into the App Manager and force closed System UI. That caused the error cycle to stop until I hit either the home button or the menu button.

I've since completed a factory reset, reconfigured the phone, and most importantly -- taken an adb full backup -- but I tried uninstalling apps, wiping app caches, recovery mode cache wipe, and safe mode while the error was occurring -- nothing fixed this issue. Now I'm scared to death that I'm one click away from making the phone completely unusable again.

I have two questions related to this:

1) Has anyone else seen this happen on the GS7e? I don't really have anything crazy on my phone, the craziest apps I supposed would be LightFlow and Signal, but I uninstalled both during troubleshooting and it didn't resolve the issue. A few hours prior I had been noodling with GearVR, but those are the only key changes that were made to the phone on Sunday that I'm aware of. Some google apps updated in the background, but I uninstalled all of those updates and rebooted without it impacting the issue.

2) If this happens again in the future, is there something I can read up on troubleshooting-wise that could help me better troubleshoot? I don't want to have to factory reset the phone again if I can avoid it, but considering I made it a whopping 3 days before I had to do so in the first place, I don't hold out much hope of this not happening again as I did not really have any way of identifying the culprit.

In any case, thanks in advance for any info!

Figured that may be the answer (d'oh). Thanks for the very prompt reply!

With that in mind, and apologies for pivoting to an additional question -- if I do an "adb backup -all -shared -apk -obb" (accepting that the -apk and -obb are mostly unnecessary), then restore that to my new phone -- will it be as close to 100% like this phone as is possible (contacts/sms history/configuration/apps/appdata)? Or will there still be some underlying configuration that doesn't make the transfer?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones