• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unknown file found in download folder

rise_up

Sep 17, 2021
Found unknown file named- downloadfile-1.bin shows up in recent files/download when trying to upload any file on any website, but when checked in download folder, I cudnt find it. When googled, I found that .bin files can be virus or ransomeware. Uploaded and checked in virustotal but found nothing. I want to know what it is and remove it before it does any harm to my android device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-09-17-18-46-01-39_5734e8eb49b4234b62f913f831715b0f.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-09-17-18-46-01-39_5734e8eb49b4234b62f913f831715b0f.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 298
How large is it?
Is it the size of a photo or of a video?Open your file manager, and try renaming the file to .jeg or .mp4 instead of .bin and see if it will open.

Google is the worst source for information, and there are no viruses on Android.

All the anti-virus apps are worthless and actually leave you more vulnerable than before.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
...but when checked in download folder, I cudnt find it. When googled, I found that .bin files can be virus or ransomeware. Uploaded and checked in virustotal but found nothing. I want to know what it is and remove it before it does any harm to my android device.

You're probably over-reacting a bit on this issue, note that your Googling results should emphasize '...can be...' in really a notable manner. Basically every online search about smartphones now will include very misleading references to viruses and other malware. Instead of cherry-picking the scary FUD, you would have also seen references to a downloadfile.bin file as being common byproduct to a Google service that's typically running in the background.
That the 'bin' part of the naming of that file refers to 'binary'. (i.e. the suffix in a txt file is a text file; the suffix in a mp3 file is an audio file; etc.) A binary file being an executable file, a loosely defined equivalent to a Windows exe file. So the odds are something like the Play Store app or Downloads app, created that file and used it to perform a typical background process, then deleted it when it was done. This is a common occurrence that happens all the time in mobile devices, computers, and countless other electronic devices. Keep in mind that simply because you're not actively doing something on your phone that in no way means there's not a lot still going on in the background. And note there's a difference involving your phone being in its deep sleep mode and just the display being in sleep mode.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Used it.. still cannot find it .. the file manager seems works like other file managers nothing speacial .. or maybe I cudnt properly used it who knows

Did you go through the settings, and enable 'show hidden files'?

And yes, it is a straightforward, simple (hence its name) file manager.
It also happens to work better than the vast majority of them out there, and if we are using the same file manager it would be easier for me to help you.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Found unknown file named- downloadfile-1.bin shows up in recent files/download when trying to upload any file on any website, but when checked in download folder, I cudnt find it. When googled, I found that .bin files can be virus or ransomeware. Uploaded and checked in virustotal but found nothing. I want to know what it is and remove it before it does any harm to my android device.

Does it always show the same timestamp? In the settings for simple file manager, make sure "show hidden items" is set to on. What browser are you using?

FWIW, simple file manager is one of the very few that doesn't assume that the user is we Todd Ed.

Upvote 0
So, you suggesting 1 wait and see what happens to it by monitoring it for 1 month? Also you reffering me to download from somewhere outside Google official playstore?

Yes, and yes.

Frankly, I get NOTHING from Google.
Google is the single largest purveyor of malware, adware, and useless apps.

I get apps from F-Droid, UpToDown, and ApkPure.

Sometimes I will use ApkMirror.

I have no use for Google and their spyware.

Upvote 0
Yes, and yes.

Frankly, I get NOTHING from Google.
Google is the single largest purveyor of malware, adware, and useless apps.

I get apps from F-Droid, UpToDown, and ApkPure.

Sometimes I will use ApkMirror.

I have no use for Google and their spyware.

I also avoid the playstore as well, in addition to f-droid and uptodown, i also use aptoide. Between those three, there's really nothing else I need.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones