• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlock Using HTCDev.Com?

1st_Paladin

Mar 1, 2011
Hi,

Had a go using HTCDev.Com to unlock my Desire S. However go an error message and was unable to get the OEM token. Has anyone encountered this issue and managed to resolve it? As I understand it, the took will unlock unlock the phone and keep it as S-On but will allow flashing of recovery, HBoot and ROM. I could be wrong on this.

Many thanks.

Is there a chance your IP address changes during the bootloader process? It needs a constant IP address throughout.

Make sure you DO NOT enter the INFO or prefix string for your token.

Some HBOOT versions aren't compatible with the tool. For the Desire S, the bootloader will currently only work with versions 2.*, not lower.

You're correct in that, if successful, the phone will remain S-ON, but will be flashable and allow root, etc, although, to change the radio, you'll need to install an S-OFF HBOOT.

Upvote 0
I don't know what that error refers to in the context of your phone. Can you give us the software version and the first 4-5 lines of your HBOOT screen?

Ordinarily with S-ON, you can't do anything to your phone's ROM as it's fully locked down (except use an RUU). But, with the bootloader provided by HTC, you can then go on to change the HBOOT, recovery, ROM and gain root with other tools. As far as I know, the radio will remain locked unless you change to an S-OFF HBOOT version.

Upvote 0
Thanks notebook. Here you go.

SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-0.98.0002
RADIO-3805.06.02.03M
eMMC-boot
Mar 30 2011, 17:29:31

This the error message I get
C:\android\tools>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
... INFO[ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.016s]
finished. total time: 0.016s

I've also tried it with USB Debugging on and off.

Many thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's possible to upgrade to 2.* from any other HBOOT, but the process is not quite straightforward, i.e. you need 'adb'. Apart from it being the most recent version, I'm unsure as to the benefits of HBOOT 2.*.

It has a different partition table, but I think this is only useful with the stock ROM at the moment. It was also the case you needed the 2.* HBOOT to access the new Sense 3.0 and 3.5 kernels, but that can now be done with older HBOOTs. Maybe there's more compatibility with the Sense 3.0/3.5 ROMS/kernels, but I haven't seen anything that suggests this yet. Perhaps developers will figure out the advantages of the HBOOT 2.* and build a ROM to exploit them.

Reactions: 1st_Paladin
Upvote 0
Hi folks, I'm running 2.4 and getting the same error message. I've wasted my entire day trying to unlock my Desire Z and only now found out that HTC has made it so easy for us. But now, this darn error at command. I should note that I've been trying to run the HTC token search from the platform-tools folder in SDK, rather than moving the items to a different folder (seemed pointless). Could this be the problem? Thanks so much for your help with this!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones