• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlock Verizon Samsung S4 to Use With TMobile

persistentone

Sep 4, 2013
While I wait for a new phone from TMobile - back ordered with a month wait - I am going to buy a cheap junk Samsung S4 and try to run that for a few weeks on TMobile's network, until the real phone arrives. The phone I purchased is a Verizon locked phone. How do I convert a Verizon Samsung S4 to be either unlocked or alternately to program it with an OS that is locked to TMobile? Which is likely to be more reliable with a TMobile SIM card?

Can't you force a firmware version onto the phone that will change it to either unlocked or TMobile?

The inability to use TMobile frequencies is more problematic.

What would be a very cheap phone I could buy used and use perfectly with TMobile's network? I am going to be using this phone under one month.

Upvote 0
All Verizon phones were sold SIM unlocked out of the box (due to an FCC requirement) up until 2019. But with the network changes that T-Mobile has made this year, I'm assuming that such an old device is no longer compatible with them. You can check the IMEI here on their site though:

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone#imeiextender

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones