• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking Droid With Out Power Button

I'm new here. I just got my droid yesterday. I looked threw the forums and I see people asking for apps that change how the slide works. Im okay with the sliding I just cant stand hitting the power button to turn on the phone. I wanted to know if theres a app thst disables the need to hit the power button so all I have to do is slide my finger across the screen and it turns on? Sorry if somebody posted this I did look for the answer but I didn't see one.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW DROID! :D

The whole point of the power button is to prevent the Droid from inadvertently turning on and calling people when you don't want it to. So when the phone is "asleep", everything is shut down... including the screen. There's no way I know if that you can power up the phone by touching or swiping the screen; it would defeat the purpose of the power button.

My previous phone was an LG Dare, which had a simple "touch to unlock" and it was notorious for "butt calling" people. The extra work to power up the phone (i.e. the power button) prevents that.

You can also power the phone up by sliding the keyboard out and back in, but that's your choice.

Enjoy your Droid!

Upvote 0
Thanks. I love the phone so far. I guess I just got to get used to it. I only have one other problem with the phone and that is when my phone is in my leather case holder it has a magnet in it and it turns my phone on to multimedia and draining the battery. I am waiting on a reply from Verizon on there case that they say is for the phone to see if it does it as well.

Upvote 0
Try screenmodewidget. It prevents the screen from going into lock mode so you do not have to use the slide to unlock screen. Pressing the power button, camera button or the volume button will turn on the screen. As I pull the phone out of my holster I usually hit the volume button and the phone is ready to use.

The widget can be toggled between, off, screen always on, or screen times out normally.

Upvote 0
The power button is how all the smartphones do this. BB, etc. Turns off screen and puts it into power saving mode.

Further, unless you are very sure you won't lose your phone, or if there is no important data, you might want to use a pattern to unlock it rather than just swipe, only adds another second to it.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I love the phone so far. I guess I just got to get used to it. I only have one other problem with the phone and that is when my phone is in my leather case holder it has a magnet in it and it turns my phone on to multimedia and draining the battery. I am waiting on a reply from Verizon on there case that they say is for the phone to see if it does it as well.

You should try out the case from Noreve. It has a magnet but does not turn on the phone or activate the media mode. Works great and i always keep it in there because there is no reason to take it out. One of the best case imho if you need a leather book like case. It snaps on not that crappy plastic thingy that covers the keyboard to keep it in place.

Upvote 0
Try screenmodewidget. It prevents the screen from going into lock mode so you do not have to use the slide to unlock screen. Pressing the power button, camera button or the volume button will turn on the screen. As I pull the phone out of my holster I usually hit the volume button and the phone is ready to use.

The widget can be toggled between, off, screen always on, or screen times out normally.

Not stealing Gzr's thunder, but Screen Mode Widget does exactly what he said it will do. Have used it since the 1st week of owning my droid. Great program.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones