• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unofficial Incredible Wallpaper Thread

Hi all!

I've bee lurking for awhile, catching the latest news on the HTC Incredible. I thought I'd make my first post here something useful...

Here's a little Android pride piece, playing on the 'mandroid' portmanteau... (Nothing sexist intended here, of course :))

Enjoy!

2cypklw.jpg

Upvote 0

Attachments

• smoothasice.jpg
    smoothasice.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 247
  • metallic.jpg
    metallic.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 208
  • burndetail.jpg
    burndetail.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 285
  • bigsur.jpg
    bigsur.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 266
  • thunder.jpg
    thunder.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 333
  • spirals.jpg
    spirals.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 243
  • driftin.jpg
    driftin.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 481
Upvote 0
I'm a newbie to the forum and to Android (coming from Blackberry), so forgive me if this is a stupid question...

But, in searching the interwebs (and the Android Developers site) I read that the DPI settings for WVGA 480x800 screens is either 120, 160 or 240 dpi for low, medium or high density screens (default is 160). One site even reports that the correct dpi for the Droid is 265.

So my question is: In designing a wallpaper for the Incredible, if the resolution is 960x800, what is the correct dpi to ensure crisp on-screen images?

Upvote 0
I'm a newbie to the forum and to Android (coming from Blackberry), so forgive me if this is a stupid question...

But, in searching the interwebs (and the Android Developers site) I read that the DPI settings for WVGA 480x800 screens is either 120, 160 or 240 dpi for low, medium or high density screens (default is 160). One site even reports that the correct dpi for the Droid is 265.

So my question is: In designing a wallpaper for the Incredible, if the resolution is 960x800, what is the correct dpi to ensure crisp on-screen images?
When you're given a resolution, you don't need to concern yourself with dpi (dots per inch) - just use the resolution... for instance, if someone says you need 500 x 500 px, just use that resolution, and assuming that's correct for the screen, each pixel will just drop right in on the screen at it's native dpi.

DPI is and important consideration for printing (where you need a certain dpi to make the image look good) but for digital display, we tend to simply count pixels and (down)scale the image to match.

An Example: If you save two images from photoshop, each at 1000 x 1000 px. but one of 'em is set to 100 dpi and the other is set to 500 dpi, both images will look exactly the same on a computer screen - their size and resolution will be identical, however when printed, the 100 dpi image would be 10" x 10" while the 500 dpi one will be only 2"x2"...

Reactions: martoine
Upvote 0

i dont think it really makes a difference, ive just been using 72 pixels/inch resolution for the wallpapers ive been uploading.

Reactions: Nashdroid
Upvote 0
DPI is and important consideration for printing (where you need a certain dpi to make the image look good) but for digital display, we tend to simply count pixels and (down)scale the image to match.

Thank you. That was my first thought. That's what I do when designing web (vs. print) images in Photoshop, but I got confused by the documentation. Just out of curiosity, Do you know the use/reason for the different screen densities mentioned in the developer documentation?

Upvote 0
Thank you. That was my first thought. That's what I do when designing web (vs. print) images in Photoshop, but I got confused by the documentation. Just out of curiosity, Do you know the use/reason for the different screen densities mentioned in the developer documentation?
You're welcome (hope I got it right-ish) - Unfortunately I don't know anything about Android in general or the Incredible in particular. I've just sized my images as instructed in this thread - I'll know first hand that they work right in seven days when my Incredible arrives.

If the documentation you're referring to is general Android info, I'd guess that a developer would need to know how to poll the device for information as to it's screen resolution and details and then scale the UI of their app accordingly, but I really don't know.

Upvote 0
You're welcome (hope I got it right-ish) - Unfortunately I don't know anything about Android in general or the Incredible in particular. I've just sized my images as instructed in this thread - I'll know first hand that they work right in seven days when my Incredible arrives.

If the documentation you're referring to is general Android info, I'd guess that a developer would need to know how to poll the device for information as to it's screen resolution and details and then scale the UI of their app accordingly, but I really don't know.

yeah that would be pretty disappointing if all of these wallpapers we've been posting were the wrong size, hopefully someone with the phone could confirm

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones