• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unwanted, un-deletable apps keep auto-updating

A

Android Question

I have the Samsung GT-S5830i and it keeps auto-updating the pre-installed apps, no matter how many times I un-install the updates and un-tick the auto-update boxes for each of those apps. It's the apps that came with the phone (Gmail, Hangouts, Maps, Samsung Recommends, Google Play Books, Street View on Google Maps and Voice Search. I keep un-ticking their auto-update boxes and I keep un-installing their updates (to make space in my phone as when it tries to update them all, my phone runs out of memory before it even finishes and everything slows down) but then I'll check my phone and find it proudly telling me it's updated stuff I don't even want in the first place and is currently updating an app I have never ever used and never will.
If I could un-install these useless apps, I would but at the very least I should be able to stop them auto-updating

(I also have no dodgy apps downloaded, not including the ones I already mentioned, I have Kik, Video Kik Facebook, Youtube, Icy Time, Skype, Torch - Tiny Flashlight and Tumblr)

You could disable the apps that you don't want to use: Settings > Apps > All, select the apps (e.g. Hangouts) and select "disable". This will also stop updates. Uninstall updates before disabling to save space.

Personally I turn off all automatic updates, because I like to see what has changed in an update before installing it. With this setup no pre-installed apps auto-update (except Google Play Services, which is just different).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones