• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upcoming Emergency Alert for U.S. users

svim

Extreme Android User
Dec 19, 2013
Illinois
just a heads-up for next Wednesday afternoon, don't be surprised when your phone will squawk with a popup message.
I realize there are some who find these tests to be annoying and invasive but it's not like this happens frequently. They occur only every few years, and it's for the common good. In the event there is some kind of disaster it can save lives.

Here is exactly what you can expect:
  • Beginning at approximately 2:20 p.m. ET, cell towers will broadcast the test for approximately 30 minutes. During this time, WEA-compatible wireless phones that are switched on, within range of an active cell tower, and whose wireless provider participates in WEA, should be capable of receiving the test message.
  • For consumers, the message that appears on their phones will read: “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”
  • Phones with the main menu set to Spanish will display: “ESTA ES UNA PRUEBA del Sistema Nacional de Alerta de Emergencia. No se necesita acción.”
Similar to weather warnings and Amber alerts, I always find it amusing when everyone's devices in a location begin simultaneously pinging, chirping, buzzing, etc... now I'm wondering if I should find somewhere entertaining to be, to witness this spectacle!

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Similar to weather warnings and Amber alerts, I always find it amusing when everyone's devices in a location begin simultaneously pinging, chirping, buzzing, etc... now I'm wondering if I should find somewhere entertaining to be, to witness this spectacle!
A test every few months is fine. But there too many false alerts! Such as amber alerts over a custody dispute between the kid's parents, where the kid is in no danger. Or an amber alert waking someone up in the middle of the night, for a kid who was lost hundreds of miles away.

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones