• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update your PRL (without root, requires MSL)

rendang

Nov 23, 2010
It is possible to replace your PRL manually.

1) You will need to know your MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) code.
There is no known way of getting it from an unrooted Admiral.
Some have had success asking for it from Sprint directly via chat/call, or from the Sprint store.

2) You will have to download the appropriate PRL.
The Admiral supports 800MHz SMR but not LTE.
As of time of writing, my stock PRL was 60690.
I went to 12124 which provided 3G when roaming (vs 1x) and is the PRL provided to corporate accounts.
BatonRougeBroadband.Info - Home is a useful site that analyzes the PRL files but you won't be able to download it from there. A simple google search for prl and the ##### you want will likely yield results.
BEWARE of using the infamous 00000.prl or 00001.prl which will pretty much put you on Verizon and result in excessive roaming use, resulting in Sprint terminating your agreement.

3) You will have to use a program like QPST to "push" the new PRL file to your phone.
Again, you need your MSL to be able to do this. There are detailed instructions available on other sites and on youtube on how to use QPST. If used incorrectly, QPST can permanently damage your phone as it can change many internal settings and values that should not be changed. You should proceed very carefully and assume all risks.

As always, please understand that if done incorrectly, you can break your phone. Also, changing PRL's can affect the quality of your service, the amount of roaming data you use (which can result in termination of your account).

I opted not to post links to other forums and directly to the files (at this time), so please treat this post as informational only.

Depending on the opinion of the mods and if there's interest, I can post additional information, includng links to instructions and/or files. They are not created by me, I came across them when browsing other "Android" related news and found it works on the Admiral :)

I think this is great info but what about just going to settings-system updates-update PRL
Also if your Moto Adm is running the new updated BUILD 5.5.1Q-117_PAX-63
You should have 3G when in roaming.
I'm not so sure about getting PRL's from Web and forcing to phone.

Unfortunately, my experience has been the opposite ... it only allows 1x when roaming in the areas I've roamed.

On the plus side, Sprint's 3G has been improving. I used to see ~ 100kbps (or sometimes less) and now, I usually hit > 250kbps, typically 400 - 500 kbps. Finally able to stream video. Looking good :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post. How did you obtain the MSL on the admiral?

My admiral is rooted, but can't obtain my MSL. Says the "Get my MSL" app is not compatible with the admiral so I can't install it. Also tried using the Terminal emulator and typing in "getprop ril.MSL" but all that shows is a blank line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones