• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updated[13.2.12] Discuss all Samsung Galaxy S III rumors/release date/speculation/news

Have they or you ever broken or gotten a loose volume rocker or power button?

I'm not arguing for or against physical buttons. However, hardware buttons are are usually built to be able to withstand at least a million pushes. The electronic components (CPU, battery, other electronics) are more likely to run out before physical buttons.

But to answer your question, I've owned 2 smartphones and 1 android tablet, all of my physical buttons work fine.

Funnily enough, this is the exact reason I moved from an iPhone 4 to an SGS2. The Home button stopped working about 60% of the time. Infuriating.

As an aside, has anyone with hands-on experience of the SGS3 (few and far between, i'm sure) know if the status bar can be customised please? It's my one niggle about ICS as it stands today.

Sure I can get one of the status bar apps that either don't work properly or force-close constantly, or I can install a custom ROM (which seems a bit extreme just for the ability to decide where the various icons should go on The status bar).

Upvote 0
I'm not arguing for or against physical buttons. However, hardware buttons are are usually built to be able to withstand at least a million pushes. The electronic components (CPU, battery, other electronics) are more likely to run out before physical buttons.

But to answer your question, I've owned 2 smartphones and 1 android tablet, all of my physical buttons work fine.
I asked the question merely to show that mechanical buttons can break; we all know it happens whether or not it has happened to us. I have never personally had an issue with it, unless you count laptop keyboard keys. Most people never will have a problem. But I will almost always take an electronic solution over a mechanical one.

I would challenge your assertion that the electronics run out before the mechanism, that may or may not be the case.

That being said, I do understand why many would prefer a physical button.

Upvote 0
I asked the question merely to show that mechanical buttons can break; we all know it happens whether or not it has happened to us. I have never personally had an issue with it, unless you count laptop keyboard keys. Most people never will have a problem. But I will almost always take an electronic solution over a mechanical one.

I would challenge your assertion that the electronics run out before the mechanism, that may or may not be the case.

That being said, I do understand why many would prefer a physical button.

I too would prefer a physical home button. My logic is, for one thing, it looks and feels better.

More importantly though, (with Samsung) it tends to mean there is no room for the "Search" capacitive button. I've had my current phone for a year and a half and have NEVER once used the "Search" capacitive button on purpose. By accident though I must've hit it hundreds of times and its extremely annoying. I'd like to get rid of it and just have the 3 (home, back, menu) buttons that are actually needed, and the physical home button is a stylish way of doing that.

So, I too am not looking forward to having the 4 capacitive touch buttons again, and might be looking into buying the international version.

Upvote 0
I have no preference of physical or non-physical button, as long as it works. :)

For those who worry about the durability, I think it is really a moot point. Most people will not keep the phone longer than 2 years, because after 2 years, this phone will be so obsolete. The GS3 is a top tier phone and I am sure its button will last for 2 years at the minimum (more likely longer than that).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones