• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updating Profile unchecks data roaming (are other devices affected?)

Yes this happens. To me, it looks like a bug. Waiting to see if this happens on other sprint handsets.

Interesting who would we talk to if it was indeed a bug?

Just editing, had a friend with an s2 on sprint try this, his roaming stays enabled.

The steps to reproduce this for the htc one are.

1)Enable domestic voice/domestic data in mobile connection settings(roaming).

2)Update your profile through software updates.

3)Check domestic voice/data settings, they are now disabled and need to be re-enabled.

Talked with sprint, they say it's a software issue(HTC), but I kind of feel it's something being sent from sprints end, I could be wrong as this information will probably never be available to me, but.

Upvote 0
Is this a part of how sprint operates?

Whenever I do the update for my PRL/Profile, it unchecks domestic data/voice. Which means I cannot roam until I re-enable them.

Anyone else have this? and is this expected behavior or unexpected?

If you have an HTC One on sprint could you try updating your prl/profile and see if it disables domestic data/voice?
Ohhhh I didn't know this was phone specific since that wasn't indicated in the original post. I have the Note 2 and just for the purpose of your post I just updated PRL and Profile and my roaming settings remained enabled.

Upvote 0
Ohhhh I didn't know this was phone specific since that wasn't indicated in the original post. I have the Note 2 and just for the purpose of your post I just updated PRL and Profile and my roaming settings remained enabled.

Thanks for verifying, it does seem to be device specific.

The reason you were confused is because this was moved into the sprint forum from the HTC One forum, I'll modify the title to be more clear since it was moved.

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Upvote 0
HTC when I called was in canada, so they were unable to get their sprint version to update the profile(no sprint sim available), so they could not reproduce it on the phone. So they are escalating this and they will be getting in touch with me.

They said they would call with a reference number, and when I receive that I will post here here for you guys, and if you guys see the issue(you should as it seems to be reproducible on 3/3 sprint HTC One's so far), you will be able to call if you'd like them to fix it, as I am unsure of how much weight they will place on 1 persons report, with the obscureness of the bug as well.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
HTC have an office here in north america, so it should be easy for them to test or get one of their carrier demo phones to test.

if more people submit the issue, this should get fixed.

OP, if you frequent other forums, may be a good idea to give them a heads up also.

I don't frequent to many other android forums, however feel free to spread the word :)

Upvote 0
ahhh, appreciate your loyalty to this site. ;)

my point is simply that if you do and its important enough for you to get the best resolution out of this, to let it be known as best as possible.

honestly i do not use domestic data/voice so its not as important to me as it may be to others.

many thanks for posting this so others on this forum are made aware. :D

Upvote 0
Interesting who would we talk to if it was indeed a bug?

Just editing, had a friend with an s2 on sprint try this, his roaming stays enabled.

The steps to reproduce this for the htc one are.

1)Enable domestic voice/domestic data in mobile connection settings(roaming).

2)Update your profile through software updates.

3)Check domestic voice/data settings, they are now disabled and need to be re-enabled.

Talked with sprint, they say it's a software issue(HTC), but I kind of feel it's something being sent from sprints end, I could be wrong as this information will probably never be available to me, but.

It occurs on the SG4 too.

Upvote 0
It occurs on the SG4 too.

Now that is interesting, it also re-leads me to believe that it's something that sprint is sending in the profile update.

No word from HTC yet about my ticket.

Just an update, this was confirmed to be a sprint issue, not an HTC issue.

They want me to have sprint open a network ticket, which should be a nightmare to get to talk to someone that understands what I am even talking about :p

Second update, I talked to sprint, the tier 1 tech support guy said he was going to escalate it for me, but then he just said have a nice day and didn't give me anymore information.

So if anyone else would like the issue fixed, you will most probably need to contact sprint.

Upvote 0
My data stopped working while out of town yesterday (roaming I would assume). I didn't understand what Domestic Voice is (based on the pop-up, I would have thought it meant allow roaming, and extra charges would apply if not for Sprint's unlimited/roaming). However, I had to disable it to get my data to work.

So, 1 theory may be that HTC has the software backwards, meaning that when checked roaming is actually NOT allowed, which may be why Sprint is unchecking it, effectively enabling? Just a theory, based on my results yesterday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones