• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade or wait?

CTM

Nov 22, 2010
i have my upgrade coming up soon and im tired of my old eris. yeah its rooted and its great and everything but a newer and faster phone would be amazing. i can trade my phone back in to verizon for $132 and apply that to a new phone or wait for the new phones to come out in a couple months. What would you guys do?

Upcoming Verizon Phones

Upcoming Verizon phones - Phone Arena

It's a personal choice.

Me? I'm waiting a few months. The DroidX and Droid 2 have already been out a while and I will feel like i'll get stuck in the same "outdated" rut I got myself into when I got the eris. Trying to avoid that this time around.

DroidX is awesome now, but come february or March I'll be kicking myself when there are dual core processor phones with front facing cameras.

Upvote 0
yeah ill wait i guess. it will be well worth it if these nex-gen phones are gonna be what they are supposed to be.

+1. Granted no matter what it doesn't take long to have an outdated device. However, it would be cool to have the biggest and baddest thing out for a short period of time. Plus LTE and 2.3, well worth the wait. My upgrades next tuesday but I'm waiting till that Incredible HD drops.

I just really hope Verizon isn't going to rape us in prices for 4g data...

Upvote 0
according to an article on chron.com it looks like verizon will charge out the ass for LTE.
$50/month for 5GB, and $80/month for 10GB. and $10 per GB overage on both plans. also looks like there will be no unlimited plan.

EDIT: Actually i think that may be for their modems and not phones.

Upvote 0
according to an article on chron.com it looks like verizon will charge out the ass for LTE.
$50/month for 5GB, and $80/month for 10GB. and $10 per GB overage on both plans. also looks like there will be no unlimited plan.

EDIT: Actually i think that may be for their modems and not phones.

Good lord I was gonna say!! I hope it's not anything ridiculous..

Do we think if they do decide to charge an insane amount for 4G that you could run an "LTE" phone like say the Incredible HD on just a normal 3G data plan? hmm

Upvote 0
go watch some LG star benchmarks and then see if tegra 2 isn't worth waiting for :)

LG Star (Tegra 2)

lg-star-specs-photos-benchmark-results-06.jpg

:eek:

Upvote 0
For the hell of it, I just installed this Quadrant Benchmark on my Droid Pro that I am testing for work, and my Droid Eris ... and here at the results.

Sorry for the blurry pictures, but my Blackberry doesn't auto-focus
(EDIT: I don't know why I didn't just use my eris to take the Pro pics...oh well)

Droid Pro - Result is 1604 :eek:

Droid Eris - Result is 397 :eek:

Attachments

• droidpro1.jpg
    droidpro1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 62
  • droidpro2.jpg
    droidpro2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 67
  • droideris.jpg
    droideris.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
yeah im with you mongol, if they do charge an arm and a leg for LTE can they be ran on regular 3g?

I would say yes, of course, but it is still too early to tell on pricing. For example, the Sprint Evo and Epic are both 4G phones that run just fine on 3G only, but you still have to pay the monthly $10 4G extra charge, whether you use it or not.

It's clear that the phone companies want to move to metered, capped data plans, so you pay for what you use (and don't pay if you don't use as much, like me; I use about 50-200 MB a month in data, since I use WiFi for data most of the time). However, it's still possible that Verizon will offer some sort of unlimited data plan, but we won't know until the actually announce it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones