• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade to Incredible

nick8519

Lurker
May 27, 2010
I currently am on my 4th replacement eris, due to many issues including trackball, locking up, and random powering down issues.

I called Verizon to run the gauntlet with them again as far as getting a replacement device. The lady I spoke told me that she would send me another Eris and if I had problems again we could look into "other options." I asked her what these options were and she said getting me into another device as in the Incredible.

I said I would rather get into incredible now rather than go through another eris. She said that was fine and they shipped my Incredible to me today, at no cost, no extension to my contract, and no change to my upgrade date.

Only catch was that she said I would have to purchase battery and battery cover. After a long debate about that, she said she would give me 20% off the battery and give me the battery cover for free.

So long story short, I got upgraded from the Eris to the Incredible for $30.

Just thought I would share!!

I currently am on my 4th replacement eris, due to many issues including trackball, locking up, and random powering down issues.

I called Verizon to run the gauntlet with them again as far as getting a replacement device. The lady I spoke told me that she would send me another Eris and if I had problems again we could look into "other options." I asked her what these options were and she said getting me into another device as in the Incredible.

I said I would rather get into incredible now rather than go through another eris. She said that was fine and they shipped my Incredible to me today, at no cost, no extension to my contract, and no change to my upgrade date.

Only catch was that she said I would have to purchase battery and battery cover. After a long debate about that, she said she would give me 20% off the battery and give me the battery cover for free.

So long story short, I got upgraded from the Eris to the Incredible for $30.

Just thought I would share!!
The same thing happened to me. The only difference is that I got the battery and cover for free. Good job though!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You mean if you are already due for an upgrade now, right? I'm not due for an updgrade until August 2011; they're not going to give me an Incredible if I walk in right now and extend my contract another two years, are they?

If you're upgrade eligible in August, that means that you are more than one year into your contract. It's worth a try, if you really want an upgrade now. I've heard plenty of people getting an upgrade after a year on a two year contract.

Upvote 0
There are two tiers of upgrade with VZW.

1- After a year
2- At the end of 2 year contract

In case one you can get a new phone by paying the upgrade price. In case two you are able to get a new phone w/o paying the upgrade price.

What happens many times is that the VZW reps have been instructed to accelearte the upgrades when a customer is very near one of the tier points.

This is what so many people think they are getting something special when in fact it's just normal VZW policy.

Having said that, getting replacement phones for defective ones is a different story. Some times after many tries and hagling you may get another phone.

In the case of the OP it is obvoius that he received a refurbed INC. If it were new in the box it would have come with batt and cover.

Upvote 0
There are two tiers of upgrade with VZW.

1- After a year
2- At the end of 2 year contract

In case one you can get a new phone by paying the upgrade price. In case two you are able to get a new phone w/o paying the upgrade price.

If I am not mistaken, the "new every two" upgrade program kicks in at 20 months, not at the end of a 2 year contract. That would be for any single line, or the primary line on a family plan. I know that my contract is up next December but I am new every two eligible in August.

Upvote 0
Great for you, of course best buy will give you the incredible for free right now with a contract upgrade.

HTC - DROID Incredible Mobile Phone - Black (Verizon Wireless) - ADR6300=

just to clarify.. I can walk in to best buy tonight and get a new incredible for free if i have an upgrade on my account?

I used another upgrade on my account to get the eris last december so right now i have a new every 2 upgrade for my number. will this enable me to walk in and get an incredible with no money changing hands?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones