• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade to Nougat for medical app

Hi all

As a result of my 10 year old son being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes I have purchased a Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) as it was about the most cost effective phone to purchase from the list of compatible phones from the manufacturer of the blood glucose real time monitoring sensor/transmitter that works with an app however it requires version 7.0 (Nougat).

The phone came with lollipop which was a surprised and by updating it has only got it to 5.1.1 which is miles off where I need it to be. I have spent hours on the phone to Samsung and was going to visit there store however they claim there is nothing that can be done to push an upgrade or even know how long it will take. They warned if I perform a jailbreak it will render warranty useless and possibly will stuff up the phone.

So i'm stuck. I just expected that you would be able to upgrade the phone to the current operating system as did the hospital.

Any suggestions. Samsung also claim the J3 (2016) should have come with Marshmallow 6.0 installed however this was not the case. Not that would help however it may provide a means to be able to get a refund on the phone if I cannot get it to upgrade to Nougat.

Very frustrated as it was purely purchased as a medical device given one week post diagnoses of Type 1 we are still trying to get insulin levels right and he is going low everyday at the moment and the app is crucial.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j3_(2016)-7760.php
Can you return that Galaxy J3?
You could download a valid, stock, Samsung ROM for Nougat and flash it onto your phone manually yourself, there are of course risks involved especially if you've never done it before:
https://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?exact=1&q=Galaxy J3
Or if you can just return that phone there are new models available that are already running Nougat, and several running Oreo. For $130 you can get a new, unlocked Moto E4 running Nougat:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-android-phone/

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that I am in Australia which probably changes a bit and reflects the difference in pricing. The limitation is that the compatibility with the Dexcom app is quite limited. I attended a Samsung store today and they couldn't get an update past 5.1.1 despite gsmarena.com suggesting it could be upgraded to 7.0.

I'll try to get a refund from the store I purchased it at tomorrow but thanks again everyone.

Upvote 0
I think gsmarena are wrong about the available software for this one. I've just checked a couple of J3 (2016) models at sammobile.com and they had nothing newer than 5.1.1 for any of them. Maybe there is some regional variant that got something later (there are about a dozen variants and I didn't check them all), but I'd be amazed if there were any that got 7 if most were stuck on 5.

My guess is that someone at gsmarena got confused by Samsung reusing the name J3 and mixed it up with the 2017 model.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones