• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

URLy - the URL-Shortener

Rhaegar

Lurker
Mar 25, 2010
I just stumbled upon a new app to shorten URLs. It's called URLy and I thought I'd spread the word. :)

It really has alot of nice features like customizable and sortable list of favorite shortening services, custom URLs, user credentials support, automatic paste from clipboard, automatic send to clipboard, forwarding to other apps, and some other options, too. It has a nice interface and is easy to use, once you set it up the way you like.
The following services are supported (I just copy and paste from the homepage):
bit.ly, j.mp, u.nu, TinyURL, f2.am, goo.gl, cli.gs, ota.cc, is.gd, tr.im, urly.de, ur.ly, durl.me, short.ie, short.to, trim.li, kl.am, to.ly

Also, it shortens long YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. links to youtu.be.

Search for it on the market or take a look on the homepage with screenshots and a detailed description of the features and the preferences:
What is URLy? MNDroid

What do you think?

Hey Rhaegar
thanks, again, for announcing my app, glad you like it. :)

I just released a new version some minutes ago which supports to send QR codes of the URL. So, now, in addition to creating a short URL, you can also create a QR code and either send a short URL that leads to the QR code, or you can send the QR code directly as an image file, using for example E-Mail, MMS, Facebook, Buzz or any other app that can handle files.

I would really appreciate some feedback. My intent is to make the most convenient, customizable but still easy to use shortening app. I have still a lot of features in mind, but I'd like to know how you like it, what is good or bad, or whatever comes to your mind. :)

Update:
Just wanted to let you know that I released a new version with the support of an image hosting service. So, now, you can take any local image you have on your phone (e.g. in the media gallery), forward it to URLy and it will automatically be uploaded to http://img.i7m.de, a free and fast online image sharing service. The image URL that is generated is anonymous and quite long, so that no one can guess the URL and accidentely find your images. After the upload, URLy will auomatically start with the image URL so that it can be shortened and forwarded to other apps like E-Mail, Twitter, Buzz, Facebook or whatever you like.

For more information please visit http://mndroid.wordpress.com.

Again, I'd really appreciate some feedback. :)

Upvote 0
I just released a new version of URLy. With v0.9.3 you have now a second choice for sharing local images. Select Imageshack in the preferences and send images to URLy: It will automatically be uploaded to Imageshack and you can share the URL of the image in other apps, without having to send the image itself. If you enter your Imageshack user credentials, the images will automatically be added to you Imageshack user account.

Optionally, you can also also select an option to receive a Yfrog URL instead of the Imageshack URL.

The upload to Imageshack is still experimental. If you experience any problems please let me know.

I also fixed the QR code images you can send to other apps, they pointed to a malformed URL.

Upvote 0
There's a new version, faster than I expected myself...
With v0.9.4 you can now upload images to Yfrog, Twitpic and Twitgoo. If you want, you can automatically let them post a new Tweet for you, containing the URL to the uploaded image.

You cannot, however, pass a message to you Tweet along with the URL, yet. This is probably coming in one of the next releases, though I'm implementing something totally different, first.

Please, everybody, try it out and report any issues with these new features.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones