• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help US to UK Xoom

zedthegreat

Lurker
May 15, 2010
Hi all.

Had a look and not found an answer to this, but feel free to point me somwhere else if the answer to this question is available.

It is much cheaper to import a US Xoom to the UK than buy one here. I also know the US version is much better supported from Motorola too. So if I buy a US version (wi-fi only) is there any reason I wouldn't get full US spec updates, as this is a Google experiance device, or that it would see the location and not work correctly?

Also is the US spec boot loader locked?

Hope thats not too daft a question! Thanks in advance.

hi,

how much can you afford would dictate if its cheaper to import or purchase in the UK. the US dollar is weaker than the pound. have you searched online at different markets to compare prices? you may also pay customs fees if its purchased in the states.

I have seen the xoom got for less than 400 US dollars recently.

i do know you can root the xoom however I am not a person to root so i do not know specifically if the bootloader is locked on the US version. there is a root subforum here that you can search to get that answer.

you will be able to get the updates from google pushed to your device if you purchased one in the states. it may take a bit longer than others but you will receive them being a GED.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones