• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB cable, ICS or ME issue?

heygarner

Lurker
Aug 12, 2012
Hi guys! Android newbie here - I just bought an Xperia S (I had iPhone for several years) from a friend and I'm trying to connect it to my pc for the first time using a usb cable, PC Companion (not sure if I need to use this app) cannot detect my phone but..

1. The phone is charging
2. Usb port is working, we just had a transfer to an X10 using '"it's" own cable

So I just want to ask few questions:

1. Can I transfer files from and to my or any pc without the pc companion? Like any other mass storage devices?
2. Is it really necessary to have a "compatible" or "specific" usb cable?
3. Do you think it could be an OS problem too? (Upgraded to Android 4)

Thank You!

Should just plug it in, then windows comes up with a message about it being a mass storage device.

As long as the cable is the right type, then that's all you need.

Oh i see, What about the charging part sir? Does it mean to say that there are cables that can only do charging and others can do file transfer? Well then let me try to use other USB cables, i'll give you an update sir.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Would I be right, looking at the thread title, in assuming you're using Windows ME?

If so, I'd be surprised if it did recognise your phone as it's such an old operating system (it's about 12 years old which is prehistoric in computer terms! lol).

All you should have to do is plug the phone into your computer using the same usb lead that comes with the charger, and then open Windows Explorer. The internal drive of the phone should then appear in the list of available disk drives.

If I'm right in my assumption, I'd seriously consider upgrading your operating system, or even better, your PC, as I doubt it would be able to run Windows 7.

You should then have no problems seeing the phone.

Upvote 0
Would I be right, looking at the thread title, in assuming you're using Windows ME?

If so, I'd be surprised if it did recognise your phone as it's such an old operating system (it's about 12 years old which is prehistoric in computer terms! lol).

All you should have to do is plug the phone into your computer using the same usb lead that comes with the charger, and then open Windows Explorer. The internal drive of the phone should then appear in the list of available disk drives.

If I'm right in my assumption, I'd seriously consider upgrading your operating system, or even better, your PC, as I doubt it would be able to run Windows 7.

You should then have no problems seeing the phone.

Well I thought about my Windows OS at first but I'm actually using XP, I meant ME myself and I :D Sorry for the confusion

I assumed the ME was a Him /Her

A standard cable that fits would do both charge and transfer data.
If possible, try another usb port and another pc

Well I actually tried them and guess what, I resolved the problem! The only thing I missed is to check the box that says "USB debugging" under developer options. Well I didn't know that I have to check that haha! But now everything works fine using exactly the same set up.

Thanks everyone for the help! Android is getting more amazing!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones