• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB Debugging: What's The Problem

PeteCress

Android Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
Paoli PA, USA
I keep reading cautions that turning on USB Debugging is only for certain circumstances and that it should be turned off if those circumstances are not present.

Seems to me like USB Debugging makes the device (Galaxy Note, Android 4.2 in my case) behave as I would expect anyhow: plug it into my PC, and I see what's on the device.

What's not to like?

Functionality diffs aside, can anybody explain why I should not leave USB Debugging turned on?

Yeah, someone with bad intentions and the necessary knowledge could access your storage with adb as seen here:

iowabowtech-albums-my-pics-picture7342-debug.png

Note the device wasn't found until debugging was enabled. After that I could adb shell into my /system folder and beyond. This was all with a pin lock enabled on my phone.

That said, I have debugging ticked all the time. Not recommending everyone does the same necessarily, but I'd rather have a chance of interfacing my phone in a severe crisis rather than worrying about an adb expert stealing and then accessing my internal storage which frankly doesn't have much telling on it anyway. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones