• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps USB host mode for RS232 data collection plus charging

phpvm

Lurker
Dec 22, 2012
I have a problem: I need a tablet which support USB host mode and can be charged at the same time - and it needs to be rooted. I tried both the Nexus 7 and the Yarvik 9-200 but in both cases I was not succesfull.

I am building an application that collects RS232 data via USB.

As I mentioned, I first used a Nexus 7 which worked fine. The issue however is that I need - USB host mode (to power the USB/RS232 convertor) - separate power supply (to charge the tablet as it cannot be charged via USB in hostmode) - Android 4.1 or better. The Nexus 7 could not be charged while in hostmode and therefore was not suitable. I checked a Yarvik 9-200 TAB (Xenta 97 IC) but I was not able to retrieve any data from the USB/RS232 port. Furthermore the original USB driver on their site didn't work which blocks me from upgrading the tablet to the new Android version.

Right now I am looked for a solution or another tablet. Is there someone out there that developped an application that collects RS232 data via USB

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones