• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB settings (what should be selected?)

clixalot

Oct 31, 2010
I called AT&T because I was only getting a couple bars and the guy suggested the Kies update, this is all new to me. What does the Kies do? Also, now under the USB settings the Kies (Firmware update) is selected (green dot), should that stay on? What are the other selections for? Media player, Mass storage, and ask on connection.??

I was trying to download a couple song (MP3) to my Captivate and didn't have success, I connected the phone via USB and it just showed "connecting" on the phone screen and then a message about cancelling Kies by hitting the home button? Does anyone have an easy way to explain some of this to me?

Thank you sooo much!

"I connected the phone via USB and it just showed "connecting" on the phone screen and then a message about cancelling Kies by hitting the home button? Does anyone have an easy way to explain some of this to me?"
Dude, this is the normal procedure I think. After this message appears, don't touch your phone and launch KIES. But you wouldn't need that? It would work itself. This is what happens with me.

If you want to download, activate the USB debug mode and plug the phone. After that, open notifications on your phone, tap "USB Connected" and you'll see what to do.

Upvote 0
I was trying to download music to the Captivate and the Kies message appeared...I just don't understand why this message came up. When I connect via USB, should some other setting be "selected" for downloading music?

I guess I don't understand what "Kies" is, it was already downloaded, so I don't understand why I got that message. Also, have no idea what "debug" mode is. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones