• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root USB Tethering in Windows 7

Having a problem getting USB tethering to work on my computer running Windows 7 64-bit. Phone has Linaro Optimized CM7 loaded, I connect it to the computer and enable tethering on the phone, I hear some Plug and Play connection noises, but do not get tethering. In Device Manager, the computer shows yellow exclamations on Broadcom USH, RNDIS, and Unknown Device. However, I do see an Android ADB Interface listed under Android Phones.

Have tried loading the latest version of HTC Sync to get the driver installed, but no go...same items in Device Manager. If I launch HTC Sync it says that no phone is connected.

Also tried installing--from Device Manager--some (but not all) of the different Microsoft RNDIS drivers, but the install does not succeed. Usually says that it could not start the device, or something like that.

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance!

Mike

Having a problem getting USB tethering to work on my computer running Windows 7 64-bit. Phone has Linaro Optimized CM7 loaded, I connect it to the computer and enable tethering on the phone, I hear some Plug and Play connection noises, but do not get tethering. In Device Manager, the computer shows yellow exclamations on Broadcom USH, RNDIS, and Unknown Device. However, I do see an Android ADB Interface listed under Android Phones.

Have tried loading the latest version of HTC Sync to get the driver installed, but no go...same items in Device Manager. If I launch HTC Sync it says that no phone is connected.

Also tried installing--from Device Manager--some (but not all) of the different Microsoft RNDIS drivers, but the install does not succeed. Usually says that it could not start the device, or something like that.

Mike
Try the drivers found here...
public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]

Uninstall any other drivers you have installed

Upvote 0
Try the drivers found here...
public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]

Uninstall any other drivers you have installed
sdrawcab25, tried that and still no luck. I keep ending up with the RNDIS attention symbol in Device Manager.

Oh, and I just realized that I misspoke earlier. I have CM9, not CM7, if that makes any difference.

I can use the wireless hotspot function just fine, I should add. But I'd like to be able to physically tether as well.

Upvote 0
sdrawcab25, tried that and still no luck. I keep ending up with the RNDIS attention symbol in Device Manager.

Oh, and I just realized that I misspoke earlier. I have CM9, not CM7, if that makes any difference.

I can use the wireless hotspot function just fine, I should add. But I'd like to be able to physically tether as well.

The ROM may be your problem... since cm9 is not officially supported on the incredible...the ROM is a port from another phone, so that could be the cause of your problem... I'd make a nandroid of your current setup and try wired tethering with the official cm7 ROM.

Upvote 0

Mike

I had the same problem but i figured out everything i had to do was to find and install the driver for my phone. So depending of your phone(Samsung, HTC, LG...) find the appropriate driver for specific phone

Short Guide:
-find and install driver for your phone
-connect your phone and your computer with USB cable
-select USB Tethering (Settings>Wireless and networks>Tethering & portable hotspot
-check Usb tethering

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones