• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use GPS Navigation without a Destination!

ttran97

Android Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2009
California
For the longest time, I would use Maps and see myself driving, but the map never rotated in relation to the direction I was going. This bugged me because it seemed like a simple GPS feature that Google should have included.

Well, with the newest Maps update (ver. 4.4.0), you can now go into Navigation and let it run without a destination and still see your location on the map and it'll rotate accordingly.

Click on the Navigation icon from the app drawer. You'll see a list of options and at the top where it says "Choose Destination", you'll see a little map icon on the far right. Click that and now you'll just see a map showing your current location and it will follow you when you drive around.

nav_menu.jpg

Edit: Removed navigation screenshot.

oh I wish I knew about this yesterday. My daughter and I were walking around the old part of Charleston, SC with the cobbled streets and old houses and I pulled up Navigator for a map of just the streets to see where we wanted to walk, etc. and I couldn't get it to work even in walking mode because it required a destination. Thanks for mentioning this. I haven't used the navigation on the eris much as I have a gps for the car but this would have been perfect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones