• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use Virgin Mobile USA Samsung J700P Internationally?

I'm on Virgin Mobile USA and I've got a Samsung J7. I know the phone and network are CDMA but the device itself has a SIM slot.

I'm currently in Spain and obiously don't have service except for using my device on Wi-Fi. I called to ask about unlocking it and I was told that once my phone is unlocked from Virgin, it cannot be put back onto my network when I get home. Also, that the SIM card slot is only used for internet. Does anyone know if any of this is true?

What I'd like to do is either use a network temporarily here in Spain for voice and data, or maybe even preferably just data. Is there any way this would be possible? I can't seem to get a clear answer from other forums because 1) the USA is one of the very few places that still uses CDMA, and 2) this phone is one of the very few Virgin Mobile USA phones that even has a SIM slot.

I'm not an expert so please bear with me. Do I have any options at this point other than just connecting to Wi-Fi sporadically?

I called to ask about unlocking it and I was told that once my phone is unlocked from Virgin, it cannot be put back onto my network when I get home.
That doesn't sound right, but VM is very picky with phones so it could be true.

I'm on Virgin Mobile USA and I've got a Samsung J7.
I'm currently in Spain
According to this site you'll only have 2G and 3G with all carriers in Spain.

Do they sell cheap prepaid phones there you could use? That might be less risky then possibly having VM refuse to reactivate the phone when you get back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones