• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Used Space" doesn´t add up at all

A

Android Question

Hi!

I have some issues with my storage on my phone. I get constant reminders that i have no more storage. Here's the problem though: the "used space" section doesn't account for some 6GB

As you can see on the pictures below(sorry for the large picture sizes), my phone tells me i have 10 GB of used space, but the overview of used space is barley 3.5 GB. So I got over 6 GB unaccounted for. Where is all this extra space?

I constantly have to delete apps, move files to the sky and move apps to SD card to free enough space to make the phone functional.

I have an Samsung Galaxy 5, 1.5 years old, android version 5.0.2. (Can´t update my phone due to low storage space).

Note that i´m a rookie when it comes to phone tech, so please bare with me if I have a hard time understanding even basic stuff.

All help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Screenshot_2016_10_20_13_00_05.png

Screenshot_2016_10_20_13_00_14.png

So "used space" in the second screen is leaving things out is my guess. The problem is that different manufacturers mess with these menus in their own ways, trying to make them "friendly", which not only often makes them confusing but also means their behaviour differs between different phones. For example my phone doesn't even have a "used space" category, nor a submenu for it.

The best bet will be to find another app which will give a clearer view. If you just want to know your partition sizes and how much space is really available on them (but not what is using them) then a small app called "Storage Truth" can do that (post its output and we can explain it). If you want to work out what is using your space on some detail (perhaps more than you want) then an app called DiskUsage may help.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones