• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using DroidX as a Dial-up Modem -- is this possible?

samalex

Aug 20, 2010
Hey Guys --

Is it possible to use a DroidX as a dial-up modem? I'm not talking about a cable modem or some way to get on the Internet, but rather dialing into a remote server via an analog phone connection. Examples being old-school BBSes or RAS/DUN servers.

Most if not all the Motorola Phones I've had over the years have this capability, and given the Droidx is seen by my Linux laptop as both a USB storage device and Network device is there any way to set it up as a USB modem that could accept AT commands from a terminal program and dial out to a remote modem?

Thanks for any advice in making this work. Take care --

Sam

Reactions: yewslus
I have a semi-related question. Is it possible to use an Android phone as a dial-up fax machine? I imagine that as long as it is possible for the operating system to send or receive sound to/from a phone call, it should be possible if someone wanted to write the application.

I did just search for a Fax app, but the only ones there were ones that use a special service, not directly dialing a fax. They were all rated very poorly.

Joe Dunfee

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones