• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using FireTVstick: Picture only lasts for 15 sedonds, then blank screen?

flycaster1

Lurker
Aug 19, 2018
New LG OLED55C8 just put up. Haven't done anything other than the basic setup and connection to my wifi. All channel/picture/sound are functioning and show no problems. I have 1 STB (Hotwire) via Monoprice certified HDMI at port 1, 1 FireTVstick via Monoprice certified HDMI at port 2, and Sennheiser headphones (TR-160) via optical out cable from TV to a dig to analog converter.

The problem is when trying to do the firestick. I do make connections to my streaming apps, but the image and sound only last for about 15 seconds, then the screen goes blank. Clicking on the firestick brings back the app, but screen goes blank after about 15 seconds. How do I stop this alternating on/off to get a steady picture/sound?

BTW, I didn't check the user or privacy policies during TV setup. Also, the firestick worked perfectly well with the previous TV.

EDIT: This problem may be due to the fact that when testing the firestick, I was using Kodi that had been downloaded for my previous TV. After some reading, it appears that the "regular" downloaded Kodi doesn't play on the LG's Webos system. I believe that I will have to delete it and then load it from Aptoide. Would you guys agree?

Last edited:
Clear the cache on the Firestick

Thanks Danny, but I don't think that is the problem. As i have been reading, and stated above in my edit, as Kodi is android, it can't be directly downloaded into a Webos OS. However, one of the workarounds is to download Aptoide, which in turn will have a working Kodi. I tested this out last night, and it was a solution to my issue.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones