• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using gloves with the Eris

I live in upstate NY where it's been COLD lately. While walking the dog I thought I'd try out some location apps. To my surprise my Eris wouldn't register my touch while where gloves. Now I wasn't wearing mittens or big fat snow gloves but they were not tight gloves either.
Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm new to having a smartphone & touch screen so thanks for the help in advance!

I live in upstate NY where it's been COLD lately. While walking the dog I thought I'd try out some location apps. To my surprise my Eris wouldn't register my touch while where gloves. Now I wasn't wearing mittens or big fat snow gloves but they were not tight gloves either.
Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm new to having a smartphone & touch screen so thanks for the help in advance!

The touch screen is capacitive, which means that it functions by electrical current. If you are wearing gloves, you are insulating the screen from the current in your fingers.

From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
A capacitive touchscreen panel consists of an insulator such as glass, coated with a transparent conductor such as indium tin oxide (ITO).[2][3] As the human body is also a conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the local electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. Different technologies may be used to determine the location of the touch. The location can be passed to a computer running a software application which will calculate how the user's touch relates to the computer software.

Projected capacitance

Projected Capacitive Touch (PCT) technology is a capacitive technology which permits more accurate and flexible operation, by etching the conductive layer. An XY array is formed either by etching a single layer to form a grid pattern of electrodes, or by etching two separate, perpendicular layers of conductive material with parallel lines or tracks to form the grid (comparable to the pixel grid found in many LCD displays).
Applying voltage to the array creates a grid of capacitors. Bringing a finger or conductive stylus close to the surface of the sensor changes the local electrostatic field. The capacitance change at every individual point on the grid can be measured to accurately determine the touch location.[5] The use of a grid permits a higher resolution than resistive technology and also allows multi-touch operation. The greater resolution of PCT allows operation without direct contact, such that the conducting layers can be coated with further protective insulating layers, and operate even under screen protectors, or behind weather and vandal-proof glass.
PCT is used in a wide range of applications including point of sale systems, smartphones, and public information kiosks. Visual Planet's ViP Interactive Foil is an example of a kiosk PCT product, where a gloved hand can register a touch on a sensor surface through a glass window.[6] Examples of consumer devices using projected capacitive touchscreens include HTC's HD2, G1, and HTC Hero, Apple Inc.'s iPhone and iPod Touch, Motorola's Droid, Palm Inc.'s Palm Pre and Palm Pixi and more recently the LG KM900 Arena, Microsoft's Zune HD, Sony Walkman X series, Sony Ericsson's Aino and now Vidalco's Edge, D1 and Jewel phones.

Upvote 0
Nope, I have a couple layers to protect against that.

1. You have to turn the screen on using the physical button before the app will listen for shake gestures. The app disables the keyguard when it's enabled, so you don't have to swipe to unlock.
2. I tuned the shake gesture detector to look for 2 specific types of back-and-forth motion (only 1 triggers a feature for now). The accelerometer readings you'd get from the most extreme skiing/snowboarding would look a lot different from either of those gestures.

I'm working on a camera feature that I'm going to trigger with that second shake gesture. Almost done...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones