• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using the Dev Phone as a normal G1 and general Qs

Hi, I haven't been around here for a long time but I know basic Android stuff, however I'd like to know a few things as my Nokia 5800 seems to have packed in after 2 weeks and I hate the damn thing, but Android looks promising and I've been interested in it since it came out.

However, I need a pay as you go phone and no Android phone is on pay as you go without a stupidly high (probably SIM free)

1) How much will it cost to get one in the UK?
Not too sure about this one, sorry.
2) Is it ok to use it as a normal G1? I saw a tutorial on the HTC site which looked like it might be what I need (link: HTC - Support - Flashing your Android Dev Phone with a Factory System Image)
One of the builds I've used was a Dev phone build and I was using my G1 as a regular phone so yes it is possible.
3) Can Android play DRM-free iTunes Store tracks?
Yup!

4) Someone at my school said that G1's sliders break easily, is that true?
Thinking that you are responsible, no they aren't easy to break. I use mine a lot and it's still going strong.

5) Is it yet possible to access the Android Market from a Dev Phone?
As I said, I had the Dev phone build on my G1 and I was able to download, install, and launch apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones