• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] can you root S3 after latest Jelly update 4.3?

okay i read this entire thread, after rooting my latest personal motorola i want to root my work phone, mainly to lock ads install a firewall, the rom is fine i just want root, i want an easy methodmodel sch-i535 version 4.3 and the link to just root doesnt mention 4.3, or at least the ones i have found...i have experience in the past rooting and installing custom roms and i guess what i am saying is i want 1-click easy root with little chance of bricking, because it is a work phone i dont want to spend endless hours customizing etc, as i said, just root....can someone point me to a simple 1 click root method for my model and version........i know i shouldnt mess with a work phone but the ads kill me, i use this phone 5 full days a week and the ability to use droid wall makes it worth the risks involved (my wife doesnt htink so but she has an iphone, what would she know!!!)

its on verizon

Upvote 0
Yeah, I moved them after I posted and also sent you a pm ;)

Okay so I downloaded the files in the No-Wipe Root thread and I have some questions.

I downloaded Image #1, which shows up as a large KIES_HOME_I535VRBMB1_861013_REV09_user_low_ship_NOWIPE.tar.md5 file. Inside there appear to be many other files? Do I extract those or just load the whole unpacked .tar.md5 into Odin in the PDA box?

When it comes to flashing ClockworkMod, does that go into the Bootloarder box, and then follow steps for flashing in step 1?

And the last step, is it as simple as moving the .zip file by whatever method I like to my SD card and booting into recovery (which will be ClockworkMod)?

Upvote 0
Okay so I downloaded the files in the No-Wipe Root thread and I have some questions.

I downloaded Image #1, which shows up as a large KIES_HOME_I535VRBMB1_861013_REV09_user_low_ship_NOWIPE.tar.md5 file. Inside there appear to be many other files? Do I extract those or just load the whole unpacked .tar.md5 into Odin in the PDA box?

When it comes to flashing ClockworkMod, does that go into the Bootloarder box, and then follow steps for flashing in step 1?

And the last step, is it as simple as moving the .zip file by whatever method I like to my SD card and booting into recovery (which will be ClockworkMod)?

Very sorry for the late reply:( Been a little busy.

Anyways, don't extract anything...just use that whole file (the NOWIPE.tar.md5 file) in ODIN;) (PDA box)

When it comes time to install the Clockworkmod recovery, you leave everything zipped and install via ODIN using the PDA box, not the bootloader box.

The last step, step 3, put the .zip of your choice onto your sd card.
Then yes, boot into your new recovery, choose install, navigate to your sd card to find the zip..

Profit:)

Reactions: ut_icedragon
Upvote 0
Very sorry for the late reply:( Been a little busy.

Anyways, don't extract anything...just use that whole file (the NOWIPE.tar.md5 file) in ODIN;) (PDA box)

When it comes time to install the Clockworkmod recovery, you leave everything zipped and install via ODIN using the PDA box, not the bootloader box.

The last step, step 3, put the .zip of your choice onto your sd card.
Then yes, boot into your new recovery, choose install, navigate to your sd card to find the zip..

Profit:)

Final question before I begin.

I take it I need to have Developer mode ON with USB debugging selected, right? Any other settings to enable before I start on step 1?

Upvote 0
Final question before I begin.

I take it I need to have Developer mode ON with USB debugging selected, right? Any other settings to enable before I start on step 1?

Yes, usb debugging checked :)

If you have Kies installed, I would disable it, or uninstall it. ODIN and Kies don't seem to like each other, and ODIN sometimes won't see the device if Kies is running, or trying to run.
Also just be sure to backup anything important..just in case;)

Make sure you check the MD5 of your downloads to be sure they are clean. (the md5's are posted in that guide)

Umm, that's about all I can think of atm:)

Upvote 0
Yes, usb debugging checked :)

If you have Kies installed, I would disable it, or uninstall it. ODIN and Kies don't seem to like each other, and ODIN sometimes won't see the device if Kies is running, or trying to run.
Also just be sure to backup anything important..just in case;)

Make sure you check the MD5 of your downloads to be sure they are clean. (the md5's are posted in that guide)

Umm, that's about all I can think of atm:)

It has begun!!!

About how long does step 1 take, approx?

Upvote 0
It has begun!!!

About how long does step 1 take, approx?

Problem, Odin says operation Failed.

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Phone is still in ODIN mode say do not turn off target.

What do I do?

I did some reading and I closed Odin on my computer, disconnected device, held power till off, then reboot. Phone is up and running normally, unrooted.

Not sure what went wrong. Appreciate any help.

Upvote 0
So long story short I got impatient and I think I'm bricked, hard.

I read some threads about redownloading the os so I colsed ODIN and unplugged my device.

Now No matter what I get the:

'Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again'

message whenever I power up, or try to enter recovery mode.

EDIT: I can still access download mode.

1) How F'ed am I?
2) Is it fixable?

Upvote 0
Oh man I'm sorry but let's try something
Look in the sticky that I made. 2nd post
I'm on tapatalk now otherwise I'd post the link to it
There is a link there for unrooting but has the file for the stock firmware

The link in your sticky no longer has the download available.

Since I can still get into Odin mode, could I try a regular wipe clean root?

I imagine there's a good chance I've lost data and I just did a factory reset less then a month ago so at this point, starting over is kind of, meh, to me.

Upvote 0
The link in your sticky no longer has the download available.

Crap. Really? Sorry I'll have to fix that when I get to a computer

You can also find the file from Samsung Mobile
Really sorry I can't do it from my device
I'll see if I can get that file for you but it will be about an hour

Edit: I just checked my sticky..what link is no longer available?

Upvote 0

I imagine there's a good chance I've lost data and I just did a factory reset less then a month ago so at this point, starting over is kind of, meh, to me.

As in, try the root method again? I don't see why not;)
I'm at home now and am uploading the .tar.md5 firmware file for you that you can install via ODIN.
Remember to unstall Kies but leave the drivers (I would assume you have them since you got this far).
Try rebooting the computer, then download this file to install via ODIN..(crap, stand by, still uploading)

Edit: by the way, here is the link to Sammobile firmware updates....I would stay with 4.1.2 from June, 2013: (you'll have to register there to download)
http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/?model=SCH-I535&pcode=VZW#firmware

Upvote 0
As in, try the root method again? I don't see why not;)
I'm at home now and am uploading the .tar.md5 firmware file for you that you can install via ODIN.
Remember to unstall Kies but leave the drivers (I would assume you have them since you got this far).
Try rebooting the computer, then download this file to install via ODIN..(crap, stand by, still uploading)

Edit: by the way, here is the link to Sammobile firmware updates....I would stay with 4.1.2 from June, 2013: (you'll have to register there to download)
Firmwares | SamMobile

I tried the no wipe method again with a fresh download of the .tar file and it still appears to be stuck.

When you say to uninstall KIES, are you talking about KIES on my phone (which I can't get into) or on my Computer? I don;t believe I ever downloaded KIES. All I have is the samsung drivers from the no-wipe root link. Is KIES buried in there?

Upvote 0
I tried the no wipe method again with a fresh download of the .tar file and it still appears to be stuck.

When you say to uninstall KIES, are you talking about KIES on my phone (which I can't get into) or on my Computer? I don;t believe I ever downloaded KIES. All I have is the samsung drivers from the no-wipe root link. Is KIES buried in there?

Kies from the computer. :) If you never downloaded it to your computer, then you need not worry;) Kies is not buried in the driver download.;)

I would assume ODIN is recognizing the device correct?
odin4c.jpg

Anyhow, this is the file I used to unroot..it is the complete firmware file that used to be in my link in the sticky (that pointed to the XDA site)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0afo59h49...535VZWBLK3_381038_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5

No need to unzip it, use the PDA box in ODIN.

I've got to leave again, sorry, in about 15 minutes.

I'll check back every so often...don't lose hope!! As long as you can get into download mode, we can try to get ya going!! :)

Upvote 0
Kies from the computer. :) If you never downloaded it to your computer, then you need not worry;) Kies is not buried in the driver download.;)

I would assume ODIN is recognizing the device correct?
odin4c.jpg

Anyhow, this is the file I used to unroot..it is the complete firmware file that used to be in my link in the sticky (that pointed to the XDA site)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0afo59h49...535VZWBLK3_381038_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5

No need to unzip it, use the PDA box in ODIN.

I've got to leave again, sorry, in about 15 minutes.

I'll check back every so often...don't lose hope!! As long as you can get into download mode, we can try to get ya going!! :)

Ugh, no dice.

<ID:0/007> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> COMBINATION_I535VRBLK3_I535VZWBLK3_381038_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/007> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/007> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/007> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/007> tz.mbn
<ID:0/007> boot.img
<ID:0/007> recovery.img
<ID:0/007> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/007> __XmitData_Read ..
<ID:0/007> XmitData Fail..
<ID:0/007> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Still fails to install. Hangs on the same spot each time.

Upvote 0
LOL, I meant to post a link with that. :rolleyes:

This is what I meant by "this".
haha, ok I gotcha now ;)
I've never tried that and just reading thru the first post, that "nand erase all" makes me nervous....however, if you want to try it, I would read thru the entire thread to see if others have run into any issues, and the solutions for any posted issues.

Personally, and this is only my opinion so take it with a grain of salt ;)....If you have another computer to try what you have been doing, try it first.
If you don't have access to another computer, try installing the firmware again via ODIN.
I'm really sorry you are going thru this and I'm doing some research also about it...(I'm at home just putzing around:) )
I really want to get you going!!!:D

You are not rooted yet and only can get into download mode correct?

Upvote 0
You are not rooted yet and only can get into download mode correct?

Correct.

Last night ODIN froze before installing much.

I ran as an admin this morning and it made it further but stops at installing system.img

When I closed ODIN and unhooked phone it errored out and I can now only access download mode.

I've tried re-unning the image install with the original no wipe image and the stock image and both fail at the same point.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones