• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Completely Unprepaired For The X Wave

:rolleyes:OMG 8 to 11 days. You guys obviously don't remember the days when ordering online took 7 to 10 business days. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand all the complaining about this phone taking so long to ship. What a bunch of spoiled brats.:rolleyes:

i agree with most of it. but we live in a "i want it now" era. company's pamper to that. If you weren't lucky enough to get it on launch day. who thought, (now be honest) i'll just waltz in an a couple days and grab one? this is how it works, is it right? maybe not. but whos is surprised? know one. anyone remember when the 360 came out? people push for the device to get released, bitch when there's a bug and then question why it was released so soon. motorola/verizion have other commitments. so should they pamper, if they cant deliver? ahh NO. but they do, they always will. and when then DX2 comes out, this will happen again....

Upvote 0
Yet from reports I have read they sold over 300K units. That does sound prepared. They just got hit harder than they thought they would. But I agree about them saying there would not be shortages. I had to buy my phone while on vacation in order to guarentee getting them for the wife and I. Lucky Costco still only charges tax on the purchase price not the full price. So it only cost me $36 more for both.

Yeah I agree, they cannot always predict what they are going to sell, and I am sure the X is selling well. But I figure it is selling about as well as the Incredible was, maybe a little better/worse. I just thought they would have had enough, but like others have said, I think the wait is like a week or so, not nearly as bad as the Incredible.

Upvote 0
So... because they made as many as they could, and still are. It still isn't good enough for you guys???

Dropping the ball big time. Same goes for HTC and Sprint with their shortages of the Evo... The more they have people wait, the more time they give other carriers and companies to 'wow' us for the next wave of super phones where one might then hold off to buy the X or Evo. I think most of the responsibility falls on Motorola and HTC for the shortages.

Upvote 0
I agree with setting aside X (no pun intended :D) amount for replacement units. It is pretty frustrating when you have a brand new expensive device that isn't functioning properly, actually getting worse by the day, and then have to wait 10+ days for a replacement.

I bought a phone, and yes, it does far more than your average phone, but at the end of the day, I want to make calls -- which are now almost painful to listen to. Mr. Roboto is NOT on my speed dial.

A side note, I ordered my original online on 7/15 and received it 7/16. However, I know of quite a few people who did the same and waited far longer. So it's really luck of the draw.

Upvote 0
I think most of the responsibility falls on Motorola and HTC for the shortages.

Most?? How can you even fault the cellular provider for something that is the sole responsibility of the manufacturer? The "shortage" of the X is due to Motorola and has nothing at all to do with Verizon. The OP was a bit off when creating this thread. And like many others have said here, it's Supply vs Demand. People can't seem to comprehend that.

Also, instant gratification doesn't apply in the real world, learn to deal with it or life is really going to suck for you.

Upvote 0
Most?? How can you even fault the cellular provider for something that is the sole responsibility of the manufacturer? The "shortage" of the X is due to Motorola and has nothing at all to do with Verizon. The OP was a bit off when creating this thread. And like many others have said here, it's Supply vs Demand. People can't seem to comprehend that.

Also, instant gratification doesn't apply in the real world, learn to deal with it or life is really going to suck for you.

Verizon can shoulder some of the blame ... they were the ones that decided how many phones to order from Motorola / HTC. If Verizon accurately predicted the number they would sell, they could then delay until they had enough stock.

Launching a new phone is not an easy thing to do - there are a LOT of variables. Look at Palm - they sure got it wrong too, in the other direction.

Upvote 0
agreed whoever does the forecasting for motorola should be fired... to be off by a couple thousand undertsandable... but backed order for almost a month is not acceptable in todays world... my phone has a screen glitch and i've been waiting on my new device since day 1... still loving this phone but if a phone is defective you should be priority of receiving a new device because you already went through all the hassle of being first in line to get 1!!!!!! grr....

and verizon is not to blame for this... 100% motorola... and believe me, verizon and motorola are buddy buddy right now, after they locked down the bootloader, after coming from blackberry I never realized what people meant when they said droid is verizon's favorite device until I owned one... but I guess it should be since it's there money maker...

Upvote 0
seriously. I'm a new verizon customer coming from at&t and love the X, problem is mine which I bought on the 15th has a blown speaker. Had to wait from the 16th to the 28th for a replacement. Problem is, the replacement was registered to the wrong number and for some reason that requires my replacement to be shipped back to them and another shipped out. New ETA for me now is 8/4. I think it's unreal that my first month with verizon I have to live with a broken phone. I'm gonna be giving customer service a call about this when I finally get a working phone.

Upvote 0
Thats why I was 5th in line at the store the 15th. I went through that with the incredible (still waiting around for my money back on that) and I didn't want to get stuck waiting more.

You might want to speak with a manager or get a supervisor on the phone, I also cancelled my incredible order and after 2 weeks of waiting for my money I said enough is enough went to the store I ordered it at and said you need to get this resolved, the next day he called and ask the credit card number it was on and said I would have the money in my account in 2-3 days, I had the money deposited the next day.

Upvote 0
Verizon can shoulder some of the blame ... they were the ones that decided how many phones to order from Motorola / HTC. If Verizon accurately predicted the number they would sell, they could then delay until they had enough stock.

Speaking with Verizon corporate stores on release date, they were only allotted a certain number of phones per store, period. That number was set from Motorola. This goes back to Supply vs Demand. You can demand and demand more phones, the bottleneck here lies in the production of each unit - Motorola.

Another thing here is that you don't want to rush the production of each device. If anyone remembers the HTC Touch Pro and how the production was rushed on those... They hit the market and every other phone was being returned.

Upvote 0
These shortages are primarily due to component shortages. I work in the chip industry. Most the components are sold through distributors. These distributors generally have decent quantities of parts in stock to handle demand, But when the economy takes a dive like it did these companies bleed off their inventory so they don't get stuck with a bunch of inventory not selling that they have to pay taxes on. Then the manufacturers adjust their manufacturing abilities to match the lower demand. This forces lead times to go up and it takes much longer to get parts. Especially with the industry recovering like the electronics industry is doing right now. Cell phone companies are also being more cautious. They dont want to get stuck with a whole bunch of phones that they end up having to cell for much less because they got outdated.

Upvote 0
I know its BS i went to the corporate Verizon store today wanting to order a Droid X but the verizon salesman told me they would ship by 8/11 and i said forget it.

Be sure to call your local Walmarts. I picked up a new DroidX from a local store just yesterday. So you might get lucky. No one thinks about Walmart selling cell phones, so it is quite possible they might still have stock.

Upvote 0
Ive been warned for using Stupid and Whining. I would like to apolgize. Instead let me re post a reply.

I ordered mine last thursday and got it 2days ago. Thats less than a week. So I dont see how ordering and having to wait 8-11 days is a big deal? This seems like a silly request to have it any sooner. If the OP would check the DINC forum he'd notice that people are STILL waiting on an DINC. So I believe Verizon has done a great job. Patience shouldnt be to hard to practice in this case with only a 8day wait. Lets be mature about the situation.

Upvote 0

Thanks but no thanks for the wisdom dad. Please don't preach to me about your assumption of me not yet having learned about the "real world". Life is good.

I understand about a device being "sold out" for X (no pun intended) amount of days but to have it out of stock for weeks, or even a month (Evo shortages) is just bad business.

I, as other people, of course don't want a rushed product but they should have known about the demand the device was going to have on release and should have prepared accordingly.

The carrier should definitely have some weight of the blame as some agreement should have been made beforehand about stock with Motorola. Hopefully, things get straightened out sooner than later.

Upvote 0
this thread needs pacifiers!!!!

314xlom.jpg

jayln7.jpg

eg1ksn.jpg

Upvote 0
Feel free. I have broad shoulders. ;)

Sorry about your trouble. I feel guilty that I'm having so much fun with my DX, now. :)

Add one more to this!

From what I hear, people are getting their X's sooner than anticipated. I know having to wait isn't fun because we all usually want our toys right away...but trust me, it IS worth the wait...and honestly you don't have to wait that long :)

Upvote 0
is this not the same as me calling the op a whiner? The mods here are blind and pick on certain posters.

listen guys. You have a right to say that it sucks that it takes 8 days to get your new phone. But don't expect everyone to agree with you. I haven't called out or picked on any specific person. I have a problem with the whole idea of people wanting instant gratification these days.

Reactions: curtisdr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones