• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Data Plan Question

Ok, so Im considering getting a Motorola Droid 2, and I cant really afford the $30 unlimited plan right now, They recently released a $15 data plan with a 150mb data limit, and from what Ive read thats not a lot at all and Im likely to go over said limit if I use the Droid much at all. However, from what I have read, apparently if you connect to a Wifi network it wont count towards your MB usage, and Im around wifi most of the time so if connecting to wifi doesnt count towards my MB usage this shouldnt be a problem for me. Can anyone here confirm/explain how the Droid wifi usage works, and if a $15 data plan would be sufficient if I can connect to wifi for a majority of the time? Thanks

Yes if you are in a wifi zone it will use wifi instead of 3G however from what I understand there are a few apps that require 3G to work so they would not function. Also if you go over the alloted data Verizon will charge you another $15 for an extra 150MB of data. So everytime you go over you will pay $30 for 300MB of data vs $30 for unlimited.

Upvote 0
I would, and did, go with the unlimited!!!. got my 2 sons both Allys with the 150 mb plan. they have had them less than a week, and we went ahead and bumped them up to unlimited. the both only use them here at home, we have a wireless access point, but they were aleady pushing their limit within a week. and thats after we STRESSED the limits and threatened if they went over. they have both watched VERY closely, but just playing outside, they would get far enough away to loose the wifi connection and start using up the data plan. Just my observations.

Upvote 0
if you are worried about accidentally using your allotted data (3g), you can turn it off when it's not needed. this will help ensure that you're only using wifi when it's available, and you also know when your phone is using the 3g and can monitor it accordingly. there are apps available that will monitor your data use and give you warnings when you get close to a limit you provide the program, but I can't say with experience how accurate these apps are.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones