• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Flashed a New Kernel - Yellow Triangle! Repaired, but No New Kernel.

MasterCylinder

Apr 4, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
EDIT: My first attempt at a flash puked! :puke: Go to post #6 for result.

Hey All!

I'm wanting some improved performance from my Stock Rooted 4.1.2 MF1 and so I'm looking at flashing a Kernel.

However, I'm a little confused about if this one I'm looking at will be compatible with my ROM. It looks right. What do you think? It says one needs a Verizon AOSP ROM but there is a TouchWiz Kernel available. That ain't AOSP, is it?

Here is the description and link:
[KERNEL][VERIZON][AOSP/Touchwiz][JELLYBEAN][10/27/2013] KT747 - MA6 - KTweaker - xda-developers

There are 3 kernels available, but the first one seems to apply to me. It'll be my first serious flash. I wanted to keep my TouchWiz goodies so I'm going this way.

Any help will be appreciated.

You have to put your phone into download mode and flash the stock ROM to get rid of that
Yeah, thanks.

I'm just up here in Mountain Daylight Time so I'm now looking for a stock ROM. I already had a couple just in case, one is rooted, the other I'm a little confused about because of it's name. Now I'm thinking I would prefer to have the original Stock and just root myself and put TWRP on there.

Never flashed before. I'm researching it now.My first experience didn't work out too well. Not sure what went wrong!:bawling:

Upvote 0
Also, according to this post below I may not have to wipe data/factory reset? This guy was in the same boat as me and he got his data and settings and everything back after the flash.

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/720453-help-brick.html"So yes, I got it back to "stock," but it didn't wipe anything, so all my settings and data are still there. I will re-root now. I installed some incorrect version of lean kernel :-("

I'm wondering if he went into stock recovery and did the data wipe/factory reset? Is that a must?

I was hoping to flash and be back to where I was with everything on my phone, but maybe that's too much to hope for.

Upvote 0
Okay - everything safe and back to normal! :rolleyes: Whew! All data and settings and apps normal, except no root. No problem. And, back to the old kernel.

However, just FYI, when I attempted to get into stock recovery, I got the green robot for about 5 seconds but then it just rebooted. Then it upgraded Android x 163, but all seems well except whatever was depending on root. (Edit: re-rooted and got TWRP back.)

Still don't know what went wrong...:thinking: No new kernel.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones