• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Galaxy S3 Signal Issue Mapping

universem2

Jun 26, 2012
I know there have been some of you that have really bad signal to the point where you are getting dropped calls. I would like to create a resource so we can try to see if the signal issues are hardware based. If so then we can use your location information to help inform others of how good/bad the signal reception is in our respective areas.

I would like to ask that this thread not become a place for discussion but more a reference thread.

Let's post in this format please.

City:
Signal at home:
Download Speed Average Using Speedtest:
Upload Speed:
Data Drops ( yes or no) :
Call Drops ( yes or no) :

Please help me create this reference thread. Thank you to all those who participate.

Reactions: jbdan
Pasadena/Annapolis MD
2 bar 3g to 1 bar 1x to no bars.... signal strength -99 dbm 1 asu
.24 mbps download
.14 mbps upload
data drops all the time
calls drop frequently and fail to send text

Long story short on my second brand new 32g galaxy s3 as the first one was deemed a defect out the box from VZW received on 7/10/12 called VZW on the 7/11. They had me order other new 32g because the phone still had not been released in store, got the new device on 7/17 had already changed sim card in between ordering replacement no fix. Guess what the new device is exactly the same drops call, horribly slow internet on a regular basis with numerous "no internet connection" messages. Called Samsung today and spoke with 2 reps and they confirmed the signal is not any good on this device either. They are supposed to call me by Monday with what to do next.

so far regretting wasting money on it!!!

Upvote 0
Not a bad idea, I'll bite.

City: Surfside Beach, SC
Signal at home: -73dBm
Download Speed Average Using Speedtest: .28mbs on 3G; 18mbps on 4G
Upload Speed: .09mbps on 3G; 7mbps on 4G
Data Drops ( yes or no) : Yes
Call Drops ( yes or no) : No

My call quality has been better than ever. I would fluctuate between -83 to -105 on the majority of my devices. The highest I've seen is -96 with the GS3, but -73 has been surprisingly pretty consistent. It's still very early for me, but the sound is crisp, clear, and loud.

As far as data is concerned, there's a huge discrepancy. I average between 1-1.5mbps DL on my devices on 3G, and this is by far the worst of the bunch. It drops with regularity on 3G, and I've seen 1x a couple times too many. On 4G, I've had no issues, it's fast and consistent with no drops that I had noticed. FWIW, WiFi has been strong and consistent with no drops.

As a bit of a background, I live in a 3G area with very good coverage. I work in a 4G area (selling phones no less) with also very good coverage. I've been putting this phone through the ringer, and if I wasn't looking failure, I doubt I'd have noticed. It seems that, so far, my only gripe is that 3G is substandard.

Hopefully this thread will help shed some light.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones