• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon GS3 Jelly Bean now expected 12/14

Jelly Bean has to be the most overhyped and anticlimactic update ever.
After side by side comparison of my Verizon S3 to a 4.1 Sprint device, I can't see what the buzz is about. If someone updated your phone to JB without telling you, chances are that you wouldn't even notice any difference.

I wanted to compare Project Butter to see how smooth everything was. Guess what? ZERO difference whatsoever. I know it's just a small incremental update, but the bang-to-hype ratio is a bit out of whack on this one.

For a while I have been annoyed that Verizon has been so slow with this update, but now that I've used it, I realize I no longer even care...

Upvote 0
After side by side comparison of my Verizon S3 to a 4.1 Sprint device, I can't see what the buzz is about. If someone updated your phone to JB without telling you, chances are that you wouldn't even notice any difference.

I wanted to compare Project Butter to see how smooth everything was. Guess what? ZERO difference whatsoever. I know it's just a small incremental update, but the bang-to-hype ratio is a bit out of whack on this one.

For a while I have been annoyed that Verizon has been so slow with this update, but now that I've used it, I realize I no longer even care...

It should have never been hyped the way it is that's the problem...I don't even agree that 4.1 should have been called JellyBean...I think they should have held off on the JB name till 5.0 or 4.5 or something along those lines...

Upvote 0

On non-AOSP devices, minor updates in android will seem to be non-existent. You won't notice a lot of Project Butter because of the touchwiz launcher being used over the AOSP launcher. If this was 4.2, you wouldn't notice the new toggles because Samsung uses their own, or the new android keyboard with swyping because Samsung uses their own keyboard. Same thing with the camera.

Jellybean was a decent update to AOSP devices, but is probably pointless outside of Google Now for skinned devices.

Reactions: CrockettGTO
Upvote 0
It should have never been hyped the way it is that's the problem...I don't even agree that 4.1 should have been called JellyBean...I think they should have held off on the JB name till 5.0 or 4.5 or something along those lines...

It was mainly hyped by Google and the media, with some forum folks eagerly following the hype. I see no difference in speed or touch response (two touted improvements) for JB on my tablets, nor friend's GS3's.

Case in point, games or browsing are no faster, nor touch response. If it is better, it is in micro seconds. In fact, my Excite 7.7 has ICS and is faster than my TF300 with JB. Not exactly apples to apples, but same chipset and ram.

What I DO notice though is that Foxfi does not work with JB, so unless that app is updated to work with it, I will happily stay with ICS. The only curveball for me will be is IF the radio kernel is better on the VZW update.

I have issues with 4G toggling to 3G (in some strong 4G areas) and low signal 3G areas drain the battery REAL bad. Though I doubt that was fixed and more a Samsung radio issue, I would update for a better functioning radio.

I have 5% faith that the radio was improved.

Reactions: _Aardvark
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones