• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Not Allowing Retail Purchased Phones to Retain Unlimited?

Buyers don't have to worry about getting negative feedback since you can't leave negative feedback for them. Yet another way eBay gives all the powers to the buyer and screws over the seller.

Which is why I almost never sell on ebay any more. I was doing $5K to $7K a year in sales on ebay before they changed that policy. Now I sell maybe $1000 a year.

Upvote 0
I wish there was an alternative to eBay. I try to sell on Craigslist first before putting anything on eBay. I also buy cheap on Craigslist and sell on eBay. This week I bought an iPad 3 with keyboard for $350, and a brand new iPod touch 64gb for $160. I have no choice but to sell them on eBay.

Swappa.com or the forum section here for selling stuff could work.

Upvote 0
Greetings TzuDohNihm,

As many have said before me, just cut your losses. This is a fight that is only going to hurt you. The odds are overwhelmingly in the buyers favor.

You could document extensively the condition of the device before you send it, but it will be his word vs yours about the condition that he received it. He could easily say that you damaged the phone right after you finished filming its new condition.

Just send him his refund and be done with it. You can re-list the phone without the VZ promises. It's still early and many people may have to wait, so the prices will still be high.

I would not risk sending a disgruntled person anything and expect them to do the "right" thing. It's just not human nature.

This is just my 2 cents, and in the end your going to do what you want.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
So, remind me here... This is a phone you purchased subsidized before June 28th and you're selling it on, unopened to this guy, but right? If so I thought I'd seen numerous threads here that you have to activate the phone yourself before someone else attempts it and that, if you don't, the next person won't be able to.

Or did I miss something here?

I did buy it subsidized and sold it on Ebay. The only thing that I needed to do was activate the SIM card to complete my contract upgrade and keep my unlimited. The phone was never taken out of the box or turned on.

Also I just received the following email from the buyer:

Thanks for the information. I did contact Verizon again and they confirmed your information. I'll leave a positive feedback for you and would appreciate the same from you. Sorry for the confusion!

So it looks like everyone is happy!

Upvote 0
Just to add .02 to the thread...

I recently did a change of phones for a trial with the S3, purchased retail. I was using a iPhone 4, on a family plan that had unlimited data for three phones. Instead of calling, I just logged into my Verizon Wireless account online, chose the option to Activate or Switch device, and went through that process. It came up with a data plan change, which kept it as unlimited, and wahlaaa, done.

Just an idea instead of talking with reps that try to con ya.

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0
From what I've read on it, if you upgrade a phone now and try to use it on an different plan that has unlimited data, you can't keep the unlimited data. Only way to keep it is to purchase a phone at full price through verizon or through the manufacturer.

Correct, no subsidized upgrades while maintaining unlimited.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones