• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Novice question on Apps

cowboychincs

Aug 10, 2012
Novice question (so I am sorry right off the bat)... but am sure I am not the first to ask it... so here goes... why do all the apps start when the phone is turned on? Example, Gmail starts... and I dont want Gmail to start until I am ready for it to start... sure, I can kill it, but it will just restart again on its own.... grrrrr

I really dont want to check for new email until I am ready to do so.... same goes for Facebook, and S Suggest, and Kies air, and Maps, and Video Player, etc. All these apps start on their own... and I dont want them to start unless I envoke them... am I the only one that feels this way??

Under the Settings tab, and under the Apps tab, there should be the capability to set each app to either start at start-up or stay off until user evokes it to start.... just like there is on a PC

Welcome to Android Forums cowboychincs.:)

Android is optimized to run at near memory capacity to maximize both battery life and performance. It loads apps into memory however they are not active. My best advice is to ignore them and use your phone. As you do, Android will learn what apps you use and load those into memory while leaving the apps you don't use dormant. If you are constantly killing apps you are hampering this learning process.

Reactions: cowboychincs
Upvote 0
Oh, like Windows' Pre-Fetch and ReadyBoost. Spiffy.

Not exactly, free memory in Android does not make it faster as it does in Windows. That is why this topic comes up all the time. And I'll admit, when I got my first Android device I ran a task killer because it was infuriating until I discovered that the task killer was making it worse.

Reactions: cowboychincs
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice... I will TRY to be patient and let Android do its thing... but you would think, if Android is that smart, it would figure out that I am killing all these apps for a reason :thinking:

Why is this tip NOT part of the tips given within the operating system on the subject of how to conserve power (or under Apps)?? I am sure there are tons of folks doing exactly what I am doing... in fact, the VZW store installed Advanced App Killer for me, for just this purpose... so they dont even know about this.... just saying.... ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice... I will TRY to be patient and let Android do its thing... but you would think, if Android is that smart, it would figure out that I am killing all these apps for a reason :thinking:

Why is this tip NOT part of the tips given within the operating system on the subject of how to conserve power (or under Apps)?? I am sure there are tons of folks doing exactly what I am doing... in fact, the VZW store installed Advanced App Killer for me, for just this purpose... so they dont even know about this.... just saying.... ;)

Staff here says it over and over and over. No worries, we don't mind. Oh, and get rid of that task killer, it will do more harm than good.

Think if it like this. Lets say you use YouTube all the time and not Facebook. The more times Android has to unload Facebook to free up memory for YouTube, it will learn to load YouTube in Facebook's place. Now introduce the task killer which closes the app outside of Androids purview. It kills Facebook and Android now has free memory to fill. It goes looking for apps to load and holy cow, look at how many times Facebook has been loaded. The user must really use that app a lot so I'll help them out and pre-load it into memory thus restarting a vicious cycle.

This is why you will often see folks that are running task killers also complaining of poor battery life and hot phones. Android and the Task killer are in a constant resource consuming battle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones