• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] okay some general and some root questions!

krisdezzy

Nov 30, 2010
1. I'm running 4.1.2 can I use the root guide for this version without ANY problems.
2. What are ROMS are FINAL BUILD. Or STABLE
3. What is this AOSP, AOSK TALK. I am familiar with root But I need more explanation of what android open soruce project is. Is that a stable rom which they fix at the same time??
4. Is Cyanogenmod 10 for 4.1.2
5. Since I have 4.1.2 do roms matter what firmware I have
6. I used to have an LG ALLY. Familiar with kernels but what are they really used for??
7. What rom are YOU using? Is it good? Stable? Perfectly fine to use for now till CM 10.1 comes out.
8. What roms include emojis other than plasma? Or do I have to install since I'll be rooted
9. I love you guys do you guys love me too?
10. IF bricked I DO have ASURION INSURANCE will it COVER this IF I pay my deductible?
:D :D :D ;) ;)

THANKS,
KRISTOFFER

I'll do my best to answer some:)
My answers in RED text

1. I'm running 4.1.2 can I use the root guide for this version without ANY problems.--Yes you can.
2. What are ROMS are FINAL BUILD. Or STABLE ---I'd have to look thru them, but CleanRom is good and stable...there are others I am sure.
3. What is this AOSP, AOSK TALK. I am familiar with root But I need more explanation of what android open soruce project is. Is that a stable rom which they fix at the same time??---See the quote below
4. Is Cyanogenmod 10 for 4.1.2.---It is not based on 4.1.2 but you can flash it
5. Since I have 4.1.2 do roms matter what firmware I have--no
6. I used to have an LG ALLY. Familiar with kernels but what are they really used for??-- See this---click on that bold blue text
7. What rom are YOU using?--Clean Rom Is it good?--Yes it is Stable?--yes Perfectly fine to use for now till CM 10.1 comes out. --Isn't that out already?
8. What roms include emojis other than plasma?--Don't know, sorry Or do I have to install since I'll be rooted--
9. I love you guys do you guys love me too?---I don't know you that well yet
10. IF bricked I DO have ASURION INSURANCE will it COVER this IF I pay my deductible?--doubt it, but not sure
:D :D :D ;) ;)

THANKS,
KRISTOFFER

More questions I forgot out there
When you flash a rom is the same wipe cache then dalvik then data.--Basically yes, but each rom op will have instructions for flashing
Do people still tweak the cpu still to see how fast it can go?--oh my yes Trying to shoot for 1.7 ghz--go for it, just don't check the "set at boot" box

Click on "Show" for the AOSP explanation...this is quoted from Ocnbrze in this thread, post 2:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/618281-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-og-evo.html
Keep in mind that this quote is from the Evo4g forum but basically explains what AOSP is:)
When Google releases the new android os, they will also release the source code. The devs will then use the code to create their own roms. These roms are called AOSP which stands for Android Open Source Project. It is pure android. Manufacturers will eventually release their own version of the latest android os, but they will add their own spin to it to differentiate them from other handsets. Htc for example adds HTC Sense to their phones. Because AOSP roms do not have Sense cooked in, they are thus smaller and sometimes faster then stock.

Now for a little history lesson. When Google first started out releasing source, devs immediately started working on roms. One of the very first teams to do this was Cyanogen Mod (CM). As the roms that the CM team were putting out were becoming very popular Google quickly took notice. They immediately sent the CM team a cease and desist letter. Basically Google's beef was that the CM team were including Google's proprietary apps cooked into their roms. Both sides eventually came to an understanding in that the CM team could continue making roms but to have Google's apps as a flashable .zip file to be flashed separately from thier roms. And thus gapps was born.

You will continue to see gapps being flashed separately from their roms until the end of time. They do not want to chance it with Google. Now the dev community is pretty close and usually do not mind sharing code for their roms provided the appropriate credit is given. Thus there are many roms that have come out that uses CM's roms as a base. Sometimes these roms may or may not have gapps included. Some might have it already cooked in so you do not have to flash gapps. Main thing is to read the op and follow directions. It will usually say if you have to flash gapps or not.

Reactions: TALONTRAX
Upvote 0
I'll do my best to answer some:)
My answers in RED text

Click on "Show" for the AOSP explanation...this is quoted from Ocnbrze in this thread, post 2:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/618281-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-og-evo.html
Keep in mind that this quote is from the Evo4g forum but basically explains what AOSP is:)

But CM 10.1 ISNT or IS a final build. Where can I find the themes for cleanrom. Ill root as soon as you reply and I know about not settin it at boot haha experienced with ally ;p

Upvote 0
CM 10.1 I don't think is a final build. I really don't know as I don't run it or keep up with the CM series, sorry:(
If you go to my first post on this thread, and click on the "show" for my signature, the colored text are links to what I run.
Or, you can go to this thread that some hon-yock put together, there are a few useful links there:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...ot-root-list-utilities-roms-kernels-more.html

Upvote 0
CM 10.1 I don't think is a final build. I really don't know as I don't run it or keep up with the CM series, sorry:(
If you go to my first post on this thread, and click on the "show" for my signature, the colored text are links to what I run.
Or, you can go to this thread that some hon-yock put together, there are a few useful links there:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...ot-root-list-utilities-roms-kernels-more.html

Is there any faster way we can talk? I want to be part of the next big thing but I have to basically learn all over again Like the lg ally

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones