• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] One Click Root?

I'll be taking the plunge with this method tomorrow. Haven't read in detail the XDA post, but are there certain drivers and Odin I need installed prior?
Last Samsung I rooted (besides my Gnex which is different) was my Tab 10.1 and I believe I had to have Odin installed first?

I didn't have to use odin at all. Just downloaded the drivers I found in one of Mike's stickied threads at the top of page and had to have the latest version of java. If u can it's nice to read through the xda thread also just for extra info.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
I did this method last night. I got stuck in that screen above but did reboot > system to get out of it.

Now my phone has root access and I don't know what to do with it!

First thing I would do is make a nandroid backup from within that recovery.
:)
A nandroid is basically a snapshot of your phones current state---kind of like a game save or a computer restore point. That nandroid is your best friend when your phone acts really wonky and cannot fix it..
To make a nandroid backup, see this:

What Is TWRP Recovery & How To Install & Use It On Android [Guide]

There are also some videos on you tube about it also..I won't link all those;)

Next think to look into is flashing (installing) a rom. I liken a rom to firmware. Custom roms have performance tweaks, bloat removed, etc. But that is something you don't have to do right away if you want to research it more.:)

Here is an excellent write up on what you can do after root:
http://androidforums.com/faqs/617220-youve-went-rooted-phone-now-what.html

Upvote 0
I just tried it and it worked fine but it was a little confusing.
First of all I didn't have Java installed so I had to install that.
I ran the .jar file. After it reboots you get a screen as shown in post #19 above. I hit the "Reboot" button and then it gave me a message that I lost root but to swipe a button below to regain root. Weird but I did what it said, it rebooted, I checked and I have the SU app.
It was super easy but now is the hard part, deciding what ROMs to try out...

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Do you remember what the message was?
How are you flashing roms? In recovery?
Just make sure you are using roms for your device and check the md5 of the download too.
Are you wiping cache/dalvik/factory reset/data wipe before the flash?

Sorry for all the questions ;)

Edit: do you have a link to that SuperNexus rom? I can't seem to find it. :p

Upvote 0
Wow, was that ever easy. I'd been contemplating rooting for the last few months, but never felt like I had the time. This method was fast and easy.

I did have to run it twice because there's a countdown timer asking you to allow super user access, but I wasn't paying full attention the first time around, and so it booted into stock recovery. Second time around I gave super user access prior to the count down timer, and am now rooted.

I've now eliminated some of pet peeves apps from my phone, added a pop up blocker, and and can contemplate whats next.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Do you remember what the message was?
How are you flashing roms? In recovery?
Just make sure you are using roms for your device and check the md5 of the download too.
Are you wiping cache/dalvik/factory reset/data wipe before the flash?

Sorry for all the questions ;)

Edit: do you have a link to that SuperNexus rom? I can't seem to find it. :p

Good advice especially checking the md5 of anything you download to flash. For some reason I've had several bad file downloads on this device that would have caused problems. Tried several diff browsers when downloading but sometimes takes 2-3 times to get it right which is strange. I just flashed jellybean rom build 17 and just curious since I was already running mf1 do I need to flash anything else since the newest version is built off mf1 also? Kinda new to flashing kernels and radios and such.

Upvote 0
Good advice especially checking the md5 of anything you download to flash. For some reason I've had several bad file downloads on this device that would have caused problems. Tried several diff browsers when downloading but sometimes takes 2-3 times to get it right which is strange. I just flashed jellybean rom build 17 and just curious since I was already running mf1 do I need to flash anything else since the newest version is built off mf1 also? Kinda new to flashing kernels and radios and such.

Thanks:) and conversely I've had no bad downloads but still check the md5's:rolleyes:
And if you are on the latest radios, no need to worry about it;)

Reactions: MadtownHoosier
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones