• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Should I root?

Some of the advantages
  • You can update system files that will permit you to use your hotspot functionality for free (not discussing legality of doing that)
  • You can install applications that will block ads on your phone (web browsing, ad free - wheee!)
  • You can customize your phone to your heart's content (want to change battery icon? want to change whether day of week shows up in status bar? etc)
  • You can backup any or all of your apps (including game data, and progress)
  • You can freeze (or even uninstall) bloat apps
  • You can flash custom ROMs or kernels that may give you more functionality than what the stock ROM does.
  • You can flash other root only updates that will let you do pretty neat things (like deny specific permissions for specific apps, or change DPI settings for specific apps etc)
  • Your carrier may delay OS updates, but the developers out there will almost always get you to the latest Android OS much faster (unless you own a Google play Nexus device)
  • many more....

Disadvantages
  • Most of these updates are from individual developers, so if it screws up your phone, don't expect your carrier to help you out. (Most Devs do provide a LOT of details of what to do, and what NOT to do, and are helpful if you run into issues)
  • Also, some of these ROMs/apps/updates may not be as stable as what the manufacturer provides.
  • Once you root, and make system changes, you can't really get any OTA updates from manufacturer/carrier. (unless you go back to stock first). But there are plenty of good ROMs out there, that get updated pretty fast.

Upvote 0
Hi Amanda. :hello:

I moved your thread to the Verizon All Things Root forum for you. :)

I've rooted every phone I have had. It gives me more control, like having administrative rights on my computer. I can remove Samsung or T-Mobile apps I might not want, use a custom recovery to backup my whole system, and use apps that require root to do things an unrooted phone can't do.

If you look through our FAQ's there are some good ones there about rooting.

Cons; it technically voids your warranty, although you can unroot and go back to stock rom. You may not be able to receive OTA updates, although you can use Odin to install an update.

Upvote 0
Honestly, if you have to ask that question, then you should probably hold off. Thats what i tell all my friends. Do some reading (a lot actually, lol) and see what you think after. I have rooted every phone i've ever had. Not even sure why i rooted my s4, i think i was hypnotized.

I have only had one rooted phone before and that was the HTC incredible. I had Miui and I loved it. My brother was the wiz that did the root for me because I knew nothing on how to do it. I have seen the "how to's" on this Fourm and it seems pretty simple although I have no idea as to what some of the words actually mean. Like Kernals. I am not sure with that is. So I am doing ALOT of reading up on it.

Upvote 0
Some of the advantages
  • You can update system files that will permit you to use your hotspot functionality for free (not discussing legality of doing that)
  • You can install applications that will block ads on your phone (web browsing, ad free - wheee!)
  • You can customize your phone to your heart's content (want to change battery icon? want to change whether day of week shows up in status bar? etc)
  • You can backup any or all of your apps (including game data, and progress)
  • You can freeze (or even uninstall) bloat apps
  • You can flash custom ROMs or kernels that may give you more functionality than what the stock ROM does.
  • You can flash other root only updates that will let you do pretty neat things (like deny specific permissions for specific apps, or change DPI settings for specific apps etc)
  • Your carrier may delay OS updates, but the developers out there will almost always get you to the latest Android OS much faster (unless you own a Google play Nexus device)
  • many more....

Disadvantages
  • Most of these updates are from individual developers, so if it screws up your phone, don't expect your carrier to help you out. (Most Devs do provide a LOT of details of what to do, and what NOT to do, and are helpful if you run into issues)
  • Also, some of these ROMs/apps/updates may not be as stable as what the manufacturer provides.
  • Once you root, and make system changes, you can't really get any OTA updates from manufacturer/carrier. (unless you go back to stock first). But there are plenty of good ROMs out there, that get updated pretty fast.

One of my favorite things to do is customize, I like to be unique and have things on my phone that none of my friends have, I am pretty bored with the standard s4 layout in general.

Upvote 0
I am pretty bored with the standard s4 layout in general.

This how i thought i'd feel. This is my 2nd sammy, first with touchwiz (gnex, don't even get me started on that pos). The general consensus is that tw suckz, so i wasn't optimistic. After rooting and enabling multi window on all apps, i can honestly say i have no urge to flash an aosp rom like i always have in the past. It just...works for me. Even though it does look like clown puke, especially on this gorgeous screen. I need a moment...

Upvote 0
One of my favorite things to do is customize, I like to be unique and have things on my phone that none of my friends have, I am pretty bored with the standard s4 layout in general.

Remember though, that a LOT of customization can be done without rooting. Just installing a different launcher will allow you to change the phone UI quite dramatically!

So, the question to ask is "What would you like to change about your phone, and can that be achieved without rooting"? Don't get me wrong - I am not suggesting that you shouldn't root. Instead, just trying to see if what you want can be achieved without root or not.

Why don't you try out a different launcher to start off with? Nova/Apex/ADW/Go Launcher/ etc... these are among the more popular ones.

If you like what you see, stick with that.
Rooting is mainly to get added functionality (not just for a change in appearance)

HTH

Upvote 0
Remember though, that a LOT of customization can be done without rooting. Just installing a different launcher will allow you to change the phone UI quite dramatically!

So, the question to ask is "What would you like to change about your phone, and can that be achieved without rooting"? Don't get me wrong - I am not suggesting that you shouldn't root. Instead, just trying to see if what you want can be achieved without root or not.

Why don't you try out a different launcher to start off with? Nova/Apex/ADW/Go Launcher/ etc... these are among the more popular ones.

If you like what you see, stick with that.
Rooting is mainly to get added functionality (not just for a change in appearance)

HTH

The reasons I would like to root is to get the hotspot for free, when I had my last rooted phone I always used it. Another reason is for the muti window option being available for all apps, also removing adds is a plus. Still debating tho.
One of my concerns is bc I am not at all experienced with rooting, I do not want to mess my phone up in the process.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones