• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Will this have a locked bootloader on Verizon?

Doesn't mean it's not safe, but usually means that it's more difficult than say a nexus device where it's incredibly simple. What it truly means is that flashing custom roms or kernels is impossible until it's unlocked, an exploit, or a workaround is found.

Is that why this method of rooting of works because the prerelease and stock kernels are considered "official"?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2290798

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So they got the bootloader unlocked? Sweet!
This is potentially my next phone. The only thing I'm waiting for is a 32GB internal memory version on Verizon.
Edit: this is what I would've said if they had the bootloader unlocked :)
I feel your phone should be like your PC. You pay money for your computer, you can put whatever operating system you want on it, you can tweak it out however you want, and you pay for whatever internet provider you want.
You pay for your cell phone, you should be able to run whatever OS you want, you should be able to tweak it to perform how you want it to, and you should pay for your phone/data service and not have your provider dictate what you use your phone or service for.

Upvote 0
So... Revisiting this because of the possibility of a 32GB version.
Is there an unlocked bootloader?

Not unlocked, but a suitable workaround.

It's not an unlocking method, it's a work-around. Essentially roms and kernels with have to be patched, and the aboot modified so as to allow the device to boot the modified roms and kernels. It will not boot roms and kernels that aren't modified because it's still locked.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones