• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Very Cool . . . Printed Magazine with a live Twitter Feed Insert

Bob Maxey

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
I thought this was a joke and it might be.

The October 5th edition of Entertainment Weekly has a built-in Twitter feed (really) -- Engadget

Youth-oriented TV drama factory The CW is hoping that Entertainment Weekly readers are interested in taking Twitter from smartphones and computers to the printed page -- er, at least a printed page with an LCD insert attached. The October 5th issue of EW features a miniature LCD display with the six most recent posts to its Twitter feed (@CW_Network), as well as a "short video showing stars of new CW shows," according to The New York Times. Yes, seriously -- an LCD screen with some form of internet connection embedded directly into copies of a physical magazine.

Anyone find this as cool as I do?

It's pretty cool, kind of Minority Report-ish, but I think Twitter is idiotic.

I agree. What interests me are the opportunities it gives advertisers. Not sure how crazy people will become over this issue, but it is quite remarkable. Or, perhaps it is a non-starter and people will find it ho-hum.

I can see some interesting uses for the tech.

Upvote 0
I agree. What interests me are the opportunities it gives advertisers. Not sure how crazy people will become over this issue, but it is quite remarkable. Or, perhaps it is a non-starter and people will find it ho-hum.

I can see some interesting uses for the tech.
Depends how long actual magazines and newspapers stick around before going all tablet/digital. They would have to make those things pretty darn cheap to be viable for everyday regular advertising.

Upvote 0
Noooooo, Not For Advertising Purposes Please!

I Hate The Number Of Adverts We Have To Suffer As It Is In The UK, I Watch American Programmes And They Are Clearly An Hour Long On American Networks, But Run Time Is Only 40 Minutes, Sometimes Even Only 30 Minutes.... Really Makes Me appreciate BBC Programmes, Where The Only Adverts Are In The Slot Between Shows!

Upvote 0
If it's counting any checking on the page - there's quite a few people who just browse and don't buy.

As for cost - Sky and Telescope does have a digital edition - cheaper than the subscription price.

Astronomy Magazine has B&N and Amazon online editions @ 3.50 rather than the 5.99
newsstand price. The 3.50 equals the same cost as subscribing to the printed magazine. This is good for casual buyers, but regular subscribers don't benefit. And you need Nook or Kindle to get it.

I won't use either reader. There's other places that just SELL ebooks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones