• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Vibrate Mode

So I am fairly new to Android and to my Captivate. I'm coming from BlackBerry, which made profiles pretty easy and very accessible. Here is my question:

I see that you can quickly put the Captivate into silent mode. There are several ways to do this, no problem. But, I would like to have the option to put my phone into vibrate mode as well. Now, if I go into Sounds under Settings, I see Vibrate is part of the options there. But, herein lies the issue. The options for vibrate seem great:

• Always
  • Never
  • Only in Silent Mode
  • Never in Silent mode

Now, the issue for me is, when my wife goes to bed and I'm still up, I always like to put my phone on vibrate. So no sounds to wake her up, but vibration so I know I received a message, whatever. This is where the Vibrate Only in Silent Mode seems to be great. Problem is, when I go to bed, I put my phone on my night stand, plug it in and leave it on silent mode. I don't want to be woken up.

So vibrate isn't going to work in this case. I would have to go in and change that setting every night. It would seem, my two options are to change the vibrate setting when I go to bed every night or power off the phone entirely when I go to bed (which I would prefer not to do as I also use it as a clock in the middle of the night sometimes).

Am I missing something or is what I want, simply not capable of happening? :thinking:

Download the app "Simple Sound Profile Manager". This application is a widget, so once installed put a copy of the icon on your home screen. This application will allow you to create "profiles", similar to the ones you are used to coming from a Blackberry.

I'll check it out, but I like to keep a nice clean home screen, so having a single widget sitting there would be annoying. I can put it on a second screen, but it annoys me as well that it takes up a spot all the time, even though I would only use it once a day.

I'm really surprised that Android has not brought some sort of profiles management into the OS. Would be perfect to have it as part of the top notification pull down. Easy access and easy to change. Too bad.

For others interested in the widget, I believe this is what bryan333 was talking about:

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.zalio.android.spm&feature=search_result

Upvote 0
I do agree tho - something built in would be nice - I use quick profiles pro and created profiles like my blackberry had before. Then with the icon widget it is 2 clicks to set any profile. The blackberry I had, you had to choose the profile icon and then scroll up and down thru the profiles so it isn't much different.

Upvote 0
I've tried several of these widgets and they are not working as I need and have described above. The ringer goes to vibrate when I put it in vibrate mode, but I can't get the phone to just vibrate when an email or text comes in for example in vibrate mode. Ugh.

And what do you mean it can sit in the shade? Can you please explain? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I've tried several of these widgets and they are not working as I need and have described above. The ringer goes to vibrate when I put it in vibrate mode, but I can't get the phone to just vibrate when an email or text comes in for example in vibrate mode. Ugh.

You can go to the settings on the email/messaging and make sure vibrate is checked. Then go to ringtones and select 'Silent'.

And what do you mean it can sit in the shade? Can you please explain? Thanks.

I think bryan333 means that if you create a widget and it is active, you should see the icon in the top portion of your screen, so you can pull it down as you would your notifications. For instance, I have a widget for Pandora. When I open a station & listen to music, the icon shows up on my top tray area. So all I have to do is pull down the 'shade' and my media controls are there. I don't have to go to the desktop icon.

Reactions: TheIgster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones