• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video Cannot Play: Invalid URL Error

scoutfai

Lurker
Apr 16, 2015
I am using a 128GB class 10 Samsung SDXC UHS-1 memory card to store all my photos and videos from my Xperia Z3.
Recently I have encounter two videos that I recorded, cannot be played back in the phone itself and even after the video files have been downloaded to computer. In the phone, when the video file is attempted to be played, an error message saying "Invalid URL" will appear. The file sizes are large for both file, close to 800MB.
These two videos are recorded with Full HD 30fps, for a length of about 5 minutes.
These two videos are recorded at separate occasions, the 2nd one is like 1 month after the 1st one.

There is one thing in common between these two files, that is both videos are recorded with the use of the PAUSE function. What I mean is, I record 1 minute of a scene, then I click pause, and after a while I click record again to record another minute, and repeat this process till the end of the video.

I cannot predict when this phenomenon will happen, nor can I deliberately make it to re-occur, so I cannot really diagnosis the problem and pin-point the root cause myself.

I had recorded video with similar PAUSE method of greater time length and encounter no issue at all. So I am a little puzzle why this Invalid URL error will occur on these 2 files.

My questions to the forum members:
1) Do you know what causes this to happen?
2) I still have the Invalid URL mp4 video files, is there a way I can make them play-able like normal mp4 file again?

Thank you.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones