• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Video on Ally

joelshort

Dec 1, 2010
I know the Ally isn't exactly an entertainment powerhouse, but is smooth video playback possible with recoded videos? Youtube videos run smoothly, but when I try to play movies etc the playback is choppy.

Is there a guide I could follow for preparing videos for playback on Android devices, specifically the Ally?

I know the Ally isn't exactly an entertainment powerhouse, but is smooth video playback possible with recoded videos? Youtube videos run smoothly, but when I try to play movies etc the playback is choppy.

Is there a guide I could follow for preparing videos for playback on Android devices, specifically the Ally?
Did you always have the playback issues? A couple of us had the issues after the rom. No biggy though. Easy fix. And yes, it's not a powerhouse, but it plays wvga(800x480) Mp4 and Divx files nicely. I just wish the speaker was not so cruddy. Check out the link. It may have the answer to the video problem. There is even a script that is supposed to make it easier if you are running Velocity 1.0.
http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/273100-velocity-1-0-video-codec-fix.html

Upvote 0

It's a matter of transcoding it properly. Try WinFF, and select the WVGA Android profile. play the resultant file (Try a short one first), and see. I know on my Ally WVGA Android profile works great.

Upvote 0
It's a matter of transcoding it properly. Try WinFF, and select the WVGA Android profile. play the resultant file (Try a short one first), and see. I know on my Ally WVGA Android profile works great.

I downloaded WinFF based on your recommendation. I don't see a WVGA Android profile listed. Under Google Android it has:

Google Android compatible video
Google Android compatible video. Video bitrate: 480 kb/s
Google Android video. VHQ 16:9 widescreen
Google Android video. VHQ 4:3 fullscreen

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but which of those is it? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I downloaded WinFF based on your recommendation. I don't see a WVGA Android profile listed. Under Google Android it has:

Google Android compatible video
Google Android compatible video. Video bitrate: 480 kb/s
Google Android video. VHQ 16:9 widescreen
Google Android video. VHQ 4:3 fullscreen

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but which of those is it? Thanks!

Sorry, it's the first one. VHQ 16:9 should work fine as well.

But, by all means, try a couple at the 480 kb/s. Hardware seems dicey on phones. Some handle high workloads fine, and some not so much (My Ally doesn't overclock at all, others can push it to 700+).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones