• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video Review - Seidio Extended Active Case & Desktop Charger for HTC Thunderbolt

Thanks again for the review.

I've always wondered why companies don't make desktop docks and/or car docks that work with cases. I've gone without docks because must only work with "naked" phones and I'm to clumsy and drop mine at least once a month. I'm sure the cases have saved my phone a number of times.

I'm looking at this dock and I'm wondering if I could rig it for my car. What do you think? I hate my current holder in my car.

Jerry

Upvote 0
Great review! Quick question, when you put the phone into the cradle, does the screen change to landscape and is there a new lock screen and/or does the screen change to a clock mode like the Moto Droid? Thanks :)!!

I have not figured it out yet. I think it can. But so far it stays in portrait. :( I think there is a APP or a setting that can change that. Will look into today.

Nice review as usual. Thanks!

Does this charger work with the Ringke and Active X standard battery version?

Which I think you have both as well, if I'm not mistaken?

Yes it sure does. The standard active case is exactly like the extended in terms of thickness around the edges of phone.

See pics below with the Ringke and Case-Mate Barley There with a tiny mod.

Upvote 0
I have used this Desktop Charger with BOTH my Ringke and Case-Mate Barley There by adding a tiny piece of velcro (the furry part).

I could not get a good pic, but you get the idea.

photo5or.jpg
[/URL]
Ringke:

Case-Mate Barely There:

Reactions: Ibrick
Upvote 0
I'm looking at this dock and I'm wondering if I could rig it for my car. What do you think? I hate my current holder in my car.

Jerry

Hey Jerry
Check out Tetrax XWay to mount your TB in your car!

It seems that the person who made this video is using it, I believe, as there seems to be a Tetrax circular disk attached to the Seidio case he displays, the thin one.

Anyways, Tetrax XWay uses a small magnet to attach your cell phone to a vent. VERY discreet, easy to attach the phone and remove it instantly, with the magnetic setup, and you can easily move it from one vehicle to another!

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but hope this helps. Google Tetrax!

Reactions: jvbaseball
Upvote 0
Anyways, Tetrax XWay uses a small magnet to attach your cell phone to a vent. VERY discreet, easy to attach the phone and remove it instantly, with the magnetic setup, and you can easily move it from one vehicle to another!

I'm sure it doesn't hurt the phone because a ton of companies make them but am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of hot or cold air from the vent blowing on my $250 phone?

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking for a holder that can see out the window as I've been using DailyRoad Voyager. I drive a lot and as many people that do stupid things that have almost caused me to get into an accident I might need to proof that it wasn't my fault. Although I don't know if it's accepted legally.

Jerry

Upvote 0

I'm sure it doesn't hurt the phone because a ton of companies make them but am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of hot or cold air from the vent blowing on my $250 phone?

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking for a holder that can see out the window as I've been using DailyRoad Voyager. I drive a lot and as many people that do stupid things that have almost caused me to get into an accident I might need to proof that it wasn't my fault. Although I don't know if it's accepted legally.

Jerry
I did 2 reviews on tetrax. One clips to vent and the other (FIXWAY) mounts anywhere.

Reactions: jvbaseball
Upvote 0
So out of the box, it doesn't trigger a desk clock mode similar to how the car dock triggers car panel? It seems like all the dock apps haven't had developer updates for over a year, and even then we can't be sure docking a TB in this can be detected and acted on by software.

To be worth anything, since it has no HDMI and we already have a kickstand, it'd have to at least cause a TB to sense it is docked so that dock aware software can catch that and do what I want.

Upvote 0
Great review as usual, Jeff. IMO, I think Seidio shot themselves in the foot with this dock. Seeing how the TB has a kickstand, it's only real "use" is being able to charge and watch movies in landscape. I had every intention of buying one for the office, but not at that price. Besides, I'd miss the looks of jealously when I set my TB down on the kickstand :)

Upvote 0
So out of the box, it doesn't trigger a desk clock mode similar to how the car dock triggers car panel? It seems like all the dock apps haven't had developer updates for over a year, and even then we can't be sure docking a TB in this can be detected and acted on by software.

To be worth anything, since it has no HDMI and we already have a kickstand, it'd have to at least cause a TB to sense it is docked so that dock aware software can catch that and do what I want.

It is odd cause sometimes it displays the desk clock, but honestly I am not sure how to set.

Great review as usual, Jeff. IMO, I think Seidio shot themselves in the foot with this dock. Seeing how the TB has a kickstand, it's only real "use" is being able to charge and watch movies in landscape. I had every intention of buying one for the office, but not at that price. Besides, I'd miss the looks of jealously when I set my TB down on the kickstand :)

I kinda agree about the kickstand, however you can not charge while in landscape mode. I am probably getting another for work. I justify the price as I like having the desktop look and although one of the reasons I got the Tbolt was for the kickstand (ya I know silly) I hardly use it. I feel this is a good way to charge and not fumble with the USB cord.

You think it will work with a basic silicone case that I got at Verizon store?
I would think it does.

Now I wanna get the extended battery again. =X

I thought I could deal with the hump. A couple minutes holding it in my hand with no case and I was done. But that case seems to ease the hump a bit. Sure it is kind of bulky, but it doesn't look too bad.

I do not use the extended battery all the time, just for when I know I will be without a power source for a while. If Seidio would have come out with theirs earlier, I would have got that instead of the OEM one. Get it. May look odd, but when holding it honestly does not bother me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones