• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile 4g

Yes, things are made in China, but there is only so many factories making this stuff.
There is only about 5 to 7 companies making all laptops you buy, same with LCD screens. However, some specialize in high end, some low end, and some a bit spread out. These cheap tablets are probably all coming from one or two who specialize in making as cheap as possible.

These tablets use cheap of capacitors, super thin glass (no Gorilla Glass), low end processors (some even buy the ones rejected by others!), poor manufacturing. Engineering department? What engineering department? How long will the power connector last? How thin is the circuit board? Does it have a Sony, Panasonic, or Sanyo battery inside, or is it something made in Vietnam that will be pretty much worthless after 9 months? And how do you find a replacement?

Yeah, you may get a few months from it, but odds are it won't last. Sure, there are undiscovered gems, but let's be honest, those are extremely rare. Small, no-name brands don't have the destructive testing ability, or the ability to buy in bulk to bring prices down, so it's few and far between that one actually manages to get things right on something so complex. These companies rely on the Chinese engineers to make the product, they just order. These low end Chinese companies really don't give a damn how long it lasts so long as they sell 100,000 units.

Upvote 0
Here's a photo from a small store/vendor in China. Needless to say, China will manufacture and sell things that have only a fraction of the quality of the name brands that they export to the US. We have some pretty stiff expectations here in The States.

You wouldn't believe the amount of Apple Stores I went into that clearly weren't authentic Apple Stores.

Attachments

• DSC00048x.jpg
    DSC00048x.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 121
Upvote 0
Would it be possible to use an older Sprint phone on VM? I sometimes like to take older devices off people's hands and if i can use it on VM, that would save me a ton of $$ in getting one of the newer offerings from VM...
You can call VMUSA and ask, unless they say yes the answer is no. They are very tight on which devices can be on their network.

Upvote 0
TX-Dennis, I have an email from VM inquiring about that very same thing; and their response was:
"If you currently have the $25 plan and you want to switch phones, you
can transfer your account to a new handset keeping your current number
and plan. Just make sure that your new phone model is compatible with
your current plan."

Hope this helps...

Peace;
Sox

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones