• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Sprint Freedom

iMaYG

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2013
There have been rumors saying that sprint is going to merge virgin mobile and boost mobile together into a brand named sprint freedom.

I'll try link to an article when I get on my computer. It also looks like they are trying to get better control of the prepaid industry

so what will be happening to our plans coverage etc.. also will the grandfather rule still work?

It had better work, or else this will be a complete lack of foresight on the part of Sprint from a customer service standpoint. Plus, I just popped for two of these phones, one for myself and one for my girlfriend, and can't be buying new phones again or changing plans anytime soon! The last paragraph of that article was a little ominous as well, from the standpoint of how Sprint may or may not keep certain aspects of their acquisitions operational. If they decide to mess with the existing customers, I think I will be demanding a full refund for both phones, two new LG G2's for free, and various other things!

Upvote 0
It had better work, or else this will be a complete lack of foresight on the part of Sprint from a customer service standpoint. Plus, I just popped for two of these phones, one for myself and one for my girlfriend, and can't be buying new phones again or changing plans anytime soon! The last paragraph of that article was a little ominous as well, from the standpoint of how Sprint may or may not keep certain aspects of their acquisitions operational. If they decide to mess with the existing customers, I think I will be demanding a full refund for both phones, two new LG G2's for free, and various other things!
I think our plans should stay the same, but if they don't I'm switching to T-Mobile's $30 a month plan.. if they stay the same note 3 for me!! hopefully lol

Upvote 0
I think our plans should stay the same, but if they don't I'm switching to T-Mobile's $30 a month plan.. if they stay the same note 3 for me!! hopefully lol

For sure, like I said, this boils down to whether or not they can look ahead to the possible customer service implications. It is guaranteed that every existing VM and Boost user will badmouth Sprint to everyone they know if Sprint takes the wrong approach on this. Not only would Sprint then lose a lot of customers from the VM/Boost crowd jumping ship, they probably won't be gaining any new customers from that side of things either. Especially now in the age of things going viral, it just takes a few upset customers to really cause havoc for a company.

Upvote 0
I truly do not believe they would do anything right off after the merger to their existing client base. I bet they are doing this to increase their client base. However, with that said, I can see them changing things shortly down the road. Maybe actually breaking out the data part of the plans to be separate to compete with TING and others. Or doing the T-Mobile thing and offering us newer mainstream phones which we pay for over the course of a year. Which, actually I would love.....access to newer devices. Just think about it, the S3 is almost 2 years old already....

Upvote 0
I truly do not believe they would do anything right off after the merger to their existing client base...actually I would love.....access to newer devices. Just think about it, the S3 is almost 2 years old already....

Yeah, except my S3 is more like three months old and hasn't paid itself off yet! Newer and/or more devices would be a huge plus, I just want to see them grandfather in any existing plans. I really like my $35 plan since I don't use my phone as a "phone" and just want the text and data freedom.

Upvote 0
Yea I'm with you struckn, mines only a week old and I actually love this phone compare to my triumph which I also loved even tho it was kinda a $300 piece of carp lol mtdev team saved it

Plus if the evolution of the triumph thru these forums is any indicator of possibly how far this phone could go development wise id be happy, but only as long as I had the option to either A. Bring my plan over or B. Have me grandfathered in

Over on the triumph it shipped with froyo, was supposed to get gingerbread but got cancelled, mtdev got it to mrun cm7/gingerbread and cm9/ics

This phone shipped with has jellybean, if the leaked rumors are true kit Kat will star rolling out in march-april and I'm willing to bet unless there are crazy major changes to phone and android that this device would probably be able to go 2-3 os' s past kit Kat without any issues

The balls in sprints court now, all we can do is sit back and cheer or cringe depending on what they decide lol

Ps. I remembered the r this time lol

Reactions: struckn
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones