• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [VMOBI][DEV] Closed [07.08.2013]

Also if anyone would be interested I will be keeping the Development ROM located in my g60 explore area as Jupiter has been assisting me with testing. You're welcome to take it for a spin, just realize I won't be supporting it or you if you have problems since this is still in development. So pretty please don't ask for help here :D:D:D:D

Like all ROM's please make sure to run a backup before flashing it. I would recommend formatting cache, data, and system before loading it.

HIGHLY ALPHA! - You have been warned :eek:
Team Vmobi

Upvote 0
Also if anyone would be interested I will be keeping the Development ROM located in my g60 explore area as Jupiter has been assisting me with testing. You're welcome to take it for a spin, just realize I won't be supporting it or you if you have problems since this is still in development. So pretty please don't ask for help here :D:D:D:D

Like all ROM's please make sure to run a backup before flashing it. I would recommend formatting cache, data, and system before loading it.

HIGHLY ALPHA! - You have been warned :eek:
Team Vmobi

Works wonderfull. Great work. I really like it. To me it feels lighter. The wifi works. Very nice work.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: g60madman
Upvote 0
I have a quad core Intel i7 at 3.06GHz... Been thinking of OC'ing to 3.7GHz.

I'll have to find a cheap second hard disk then to put Ubuntu on, as I suspect running Ubuntu off a flash or USB drive is a terrible idea. Maybe if I took apart my old external eSATA hard drive...
You have plenty of horsepower so no need to OC. OCing will just cause your cpu to heat up more and run sluggish with this type of operation 'compiling'. If the system is setup right 'smp' you will be banging on ALL cores/threads at 100% for lot's of the compile process. I have 6gb of ram and so far it has only eaten up 4gb during a build. Using ccache will improve build times after the first build.

Upvote 0
My housemate's a Ph.D in electrical/computer engineering. Designing 3DIC right now. We were discussing that the other day- its not so much clock speeds anymore, as that just sucks more power and generates more heat to brute-force "more" computations through, its the architecture. I've never even gotten my CPU past about 50% usage with my best, toughest apps. Taking that hard drive apart today, so may get to test build tonight. Will probably test build CM or something on my Nexus 10 that I know works, just for verification.

Upvote 0
I just signed up on the forum today and wanted to say thanks for working on this. Am looking forward to flashing a rom on this baby like I have done in the past with my old Droid 2 I upgraded from.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone can see my links since I am new to the forums but I posted a guide on getting an "apps2SD" like solution working on the phone. Absolutely a must on this phone since the storage space is stupid small on this phone.

Check out my post here!

Thanks again in advance!

Upvote 0
So I updated the OP. The ROM is nowhere near complete but a lot more of it is now working as I have the internal SD working almost perfectly. Video Playback is working Camera is now launching and crashing LOL but it's coming together. I added a download in the OP as well so you're welcome to check it out if you like. Still need to work on MP3 playback as that is not working but more of the ROM is looking good. I am currently developing on the Samsung Victory as I finally activated my Virgin Mobile version, however the hardware is darn near the same regardless of partitions. Anyways enjoy :D

Upvote 0
New here so sorry if I am not replying in the right spot. I just rooted my Samsung Victory, so would it be smart for me to wait till you guys complete this instead of looking else where?

Yes, you wont find anything really elsewhere at this time. It would be beneficial to wait for this rom to go mostly stable before you give it a spin.

Upvote 0
Yes, you wont find anything really elsewhere at this time. It would be beneficial to wait for this rom to go mostly stable before you give it a spin.

Yep you happen to be sitting at the right place for the latest news and development of roms for this VM device ;)

Upvote 0
I know that this is very early in development but will this support custom boot animations because the Samsung stock rom won't allow it.

Sure, cm has a custom boot so you could just replace it in the zip. To test this you could even install the alpha cm10 I posted and replace the animation to test. I forgot where it is in the ROM off the top of my head but just Google it.

Reactions: JonathanWhitey
Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for your work on this rom, I'm happy to wait for a stable version!

Came to this phone off the Evo V 4G which I only had since January and then broke...only to find there were none of those left anywhere. I was running the CM 10.1 rom and very satisfied with a lot of the features, so thanks for your work on that, too!

Will be nice to get 4.2.2 on this device, I've got a lot of little UI annoyances already. Good to see that direction.

I'll watch this thread closely. :-}

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones