• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile Will Start Throttling Top 5% Of Data Users

i think its because of the new S5; ppl are gonna want to stream more, download more, etc. and its similar to boost mobiles infamous text, but this is quite different. wow; so if u live in a "congested" area full of other sprint/boost/vm customers, and if they see u using lots of data; they throttle u. amazing -___-

Upvote 0
This won't affect any of you that don't use large amounts data while on Sprint's 3G and LTE networks, if anything it will improve your data experience. Sprint is slowly killing off unlimited data and its about time, Sprint needs to start offering different tiers of data plans and once they are reached users need to be hard capped to Sprint's 1x RTT network until the next month.

Sprints LTE networks are already becoming hampered in 1st and 2nd round post Network Vision markets due to data abusers making the experience for other normal use customers horrible. If a data abuser is using 40-60% of a sites capacity then that user will be throttled to keep the site from being overburdened which in the end will free up 40-60% of a site's capacity for other users to use.

I barely use 1.5GB of data and sometimes not even 1GB a month on Sprint's network, when I'm home I do what any other person should do and use my WiFi, it not only helps Sprint's network but gives me a more positive data experience using my WiFi.

Reactions: mjhealy1978
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones