• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
dont waste 2.99 on vzw and their visual voicemail. its just a nickel and dime tactic on their part. too bad for them they opened their network to android phones.

you could use another app for visual voicemail but i would just wait for GV to become open beta or get an invite from google or someone who has one. GV + Android = omg wow.

the more i use the droid the more i feel like im just leeching off of verizons network and not as tied down as i would be normally - although i realize they still do limit features, its still better than any phone/network ive had.

Upvote 0
I tried to install VVM this morning and after installing and then declining on the $2.99 I realized that my Droid was having serious issues... For some reason the VM application caused my Android System process to spike to 90-100% (or whatever was left with TaskManager running) trying to close an idle process that caused everything to slow down.

Yeah not impressed at all... slowing down the hotness of Droid, being prompted to force close processes, VZ made my Droid feel like a windows machine... yuck! lol.

My next search will be about the bug reporting system for this phone.

Upvote 0
Just set this up a few minutes ago. Its easy to do.
1. Install the GV app on your Droid
2. Log into GV on your computer
3. Go to settings on the top right then pick out Edit under your Droids number
4. Click on Show Advanced Settings
5. At the bottom next to Forwarding Options click activate and follow the instructions there.

It will ask for your carrier then tell you to dial a number on your cell. Once that is done it somehow forwards your missed calls to GV which will go direct into voicemail by default. After a minute the GV app on the phone will put an icon in the notification bar.

Now if only I was more popular and had more calls to miss! :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm surprised there are not more YouMail Suggestions,

It has a free (Ad supported) Version that you can pay to get rid of ads and add other features like transcription.

It also has a killer feature where you can set individual greetings for individual or groups of contacts, you can have it greet your contacts by name or you can setup what they call "Ditchmail" Don't like being bugged by Unknown/Blocked ID's? Send em to DitchMail with a nice message lettin em know you don't accept those calls.

I encourage anyone who is looking for Visual Voicemail to check out YouMail, you probably wont be disappointed, especially if you're currently paying for the service elsewhere.

It does seem to have some bugs on the Droid, maybe even other Android platforms, I'm new to Android over from BlackBerry and they fixed the bugs in the BB version pretty quick so I'm hopeful.

YouMail

Edit:
I just wanted to add a comment on GV. it actually works great with youmail as well, youmail gives you a dropbox for other voicemail to dump to and youmail treats them as their own. Relieves the need for checking multiple voicemail boxes.

In GV Settings, go to 'Voicemail & SMS' Then under 'Voicemail Notifications' you'll see "Email the message to:" youmail dropbox is <yournumber>@my.youmail.com after you've signed up, of course.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones